Shooting on available light

Hi guys,

I have to shoot some documentary this summer. First two days of shooting are this Saturday and Sunday, both days must shoot in available light and the format is Super16. These shots has to be intercut later with shots from the Super35, so can you help me to find the way to expose S16 good enough please? For the daylight I would like to use F-64D, so is it flexibile (have dynamic range) to overexpose it up to 1 stop? The daylight is not problem that much as the evening and night where I think to use 7218. I shoot only once with '18 in S16 and I'm a bit scared because I had lot of grain, which I hadn't in 35mm with the same stock. Or maybe to use some slower stock pushed one stop?

Thank you!

Aleksandar Bracinac

• Premium Member
Hi guys,

I have to shoot some documentary this summer. First two days of shooting are this Saturday and Sunday, both days must shoot in available light and the format is Super16. These shots has to be intercut later with shots from the Super35, so can you help me to find the way to expose S16 good enough please? For the daylight I would like to use F-64D, so is it flexibile (have dynamic range) to overexpose it up to 1 stop? The daylight is not problem that much as the evening and night where I think to use 7218. I shoot only once with '18 in S16 and I'm a bit scared because I had lot of grain, which I hadn't in 35mm with the same stock. Or maybe to use some slower stock pushed one stop?

Thank you!

Aleksandar Bracinac

Use the slowest film you have enough light for. A bit (up to a stop) of overexposure will help reduce graininess. Avoid underexposure. Push process increases contrast and graininess.

The Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201 has the lowest graininess of any color negative film on the market.