Vechicle gripping

G McMahon

Hello all,

In a couple of months I am shooting a short involving car night scenes.

I would like to hear about cheap methods of securing lights and cameras to the car exterior.

Bare in mind, the camera is a small DV Cam, and I am playing with low wattage lights to embrace as much city practical lighting.

Thanks,

Graeme

Just to add, I read the post further down. I am refering to shots having camera outside side door etc. Using scaff pole perhaps?

Graeme

Yeah something like that.

I use Grid pipe (4 pieces), some sandbags, ratchet straps and 4 hard 90 clamps. You can add in soundblankets as well.

I'm trying to add a picture so I don't really have to explain it.

I use Grid pipe (4 pieces), some sandbags, ratchet straps and 4 hard 90 clamps. You can add in soundblankets as well.

I'm trying to add a picture so I don't really have to explain it.

I use Grid pipe (4 pieces), some sandbags, ratchet straps and 4 hard 90 clamps. You can add in soundblankets as well. The bags and blankets are used to that the rig doesn't hurt the car.

2 pieces of pipe are going lengthwise and are the ones actually touching the sandbags. Attach the hard 90's so that you can fit the other 2 pieces of pipe on top of it. The pipe going width wise (passenger door to driver door) should be a bit longer than the width of the car. But not too much obviously. :)

The pipe going lengthwise can (i prefer) a bit longer so that some of it extends past the windshield and some goes a little out the back but again only a foot or so to give you lighting options. Once all 4 pieces of pipe are in place you can ratchet down the rig in at least 2 spots widthwise. Keep note that you may need camping foam or duvateyne etc. because the metal part of the ratchet strap can damage the car. Also make note that you aren't interfering with the wheels.

Then you should be ready for the lights. I would use 750 or 2K hangars on the pipe as opposed to cardellinis because the hangars are more stable and won't fidget around as much. And safety chains of course.

Oh one more thing. These rigs are usually used on mini-vans because usually when it's set it's possible that you can't use the passenger or driver doors. People usually have to go in the back door.

I'm trying to add a picture so I don't really have to explain it. Crap that doesn't work. I can email you some pictures of what it looks like.

As far as camera rigs, I think someone posted the high hat with ratchet straps for the hood of the car. As far as a side mount is concerned I've only used the one you can rent from WFW. I guess you could use the rig I mentioned and then say use a 750 hangar, a couple of cardellinis and a grip arm and head on the camera. And something like another hangar, arm, head trick for support (and rope, safety chains). But I don't know how heavy this camera is so I don't know if that would be enough.