Arri Phase Chips

Joe Taylor

I've played with them on a 435 at Otto's in Salt Lake City. They seem like if not used correctly, they can really mess a the shutter.

I'm going to be doing some time-lapse work using a 435, some shots with the phase chip, some with out. My concern is how consisent the streaking effect will be when. Does anybody have any experience doing time-lapse with the phase chip or know of movies or video that can be screened for examples?

Thank You.

I've played with them on a 435 at Otto's in Salt Lake City. They seem like if not used correctly, they can really mess a the shutter.

I'm going to be doing some time-lapse work using a 435, some shots with the phase chip, some with out. My concern is how consisent the streaking effect will be when. Does anybody have any experience doing time-lapse with the phase chip or know of movies or video that can be screened for examples?

Thank You.

It will be a little easier to use a 435Xtreme with an Arri TSB (Timing Shift Box). Messing up the shutter is what they are intended to do, without that there's no streaking effect. The most prominent use of that effect (without the time lapse) can be seen at the beginning of Private Ryan.

I don't think the effect differs much between shooting time lapse or standard 24fps as long as your exposure time isn't something very special.

With a device like this it's imperative to shoot tests.

Edited by Daniel Stigler

I've seen plenty of uses (over uses) especially after Private Ryan. I know it messes with the shutter, but it sounds like a wood chipper sometimes.

So, if anybody has seen instances of the misstimed shutter effect used in time-lapse cinemaotography, I'd loved to hear about them. I don't get to do any tests.

So, if anybody has seen instances of the misstimed shutter effect used in time-lapse cinemaotography, I'd loved to hear about them. I don't get to do any tests.

If you stick to an exposure time of 1/48th for each frame i am sure the effect will look just like with 24fps. But this effect also depends heavily on the amount of offset (of course) and what your actual picture will be. Are you shooting at night or at day? Is there anything moving in the picture, what colors are the moving parts, etc.

If you can't do tests you should better check with production if the smear effect can be done in post.