GK Film, are they still trading??

A.Oliver

Hi, i placed and paid for an order with GK for fuji 50 in super 8 and 16mm formats. That was in early may 2006, tried to contact them via email, but no replies. Is the outfit still trading? Anyone received any stock from GK since May 06.

Andy

Hi;

Andy, I ordered some S8 50D around mid june but waited on payment and have had zero response, I kinda get the feeling they're still trading but are sinking under the weight of unexpected orders, seems slightly insane to be taking out large adds in Small format etc when you can't handle the orders. Wittner on the other hand responded quickly to my 100D order. Good luck

Olly

Hi;

Andy, the old visa details across two sepperate emails from preferably two sepperate email accounts trick... They seem very used to this method and although a bit funky it works, just give them half the info etc on one and the other half on the other and make it all very CLEAR whats what. I used the online order form to actually make the order which keeps things simple.

Olly

• Premium Member
I know they can't fullfil the demand right now, see this link: http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm and scroll down; it's a very good new page for super 8 in general, btw. put is under your favourites,

Paul

My two cents here.

Companies other than Kodak that have to load their own super-8 film into the cartridge cannot do it as quickly or efficiently as Kodak. I have not seen the actual machine but apparently Kodak has a huge super-8 cartridge loading machine that does everything automatically.

Plus, the carts that Kodak sells to these companies can cause higher jamming percentages unless the carts are properly handled and lubed as the film is being loaded in, additionally, some other stocks may not be as pliable as the kodak stocks and that can lead to potential jamming issues as well.

It seems that Kodak probably has mixed business feelings over the whole issue of selling empty super-8 cartridges to others. On the one hand, they are selling film cartridges to what can deemed as their competition, on the other hand, Kodak is not as agile at producing smaller runs of film stocks that they currently do not sell to the Super-8 community and it's actually in their best interest to support anyone willing to do smaller runs because it keeps the infrastructure of super-8 stronger overall.

The amount of films that can be loaded into super-8 cartridges per hour by anyone other than Kodak is signficantly less than what Kodak can do per hour, add on the possibility of more jamming, especially because the stocks are different, and it becomes a tedious process for anyone that loads Super-8 cartridges.

My two cents here.

Companies other than Kodak that have to load their own super-8 film into the cartridge cannot do it as quickly or efficiently as Kodak. I have not seen the actual machine but apparently Kodak has a huge super-8 cartridge loading machine that does everything automatically.

Plus, the carts that Kodak sells to these companies can cause higher jamming percentages unless the carts are properly handled and lubed as the film is being loaded in, additionally, some other stocks may not be as pliable as the kodak stocks and that can lead to potential jamming issues as well.

It seems that Kodak probably has mixed business feelings over the whole issue of selling empty super-8 cartridges to others. On the one hand, they are selling film cartridges to what can deemed as their competition, on the other hand, Kodak is not as agile at producing smaller runs of film stocks that they currently do not sell to the Super-8 community and it's actually in their best interest to support anyone willing to do smaller runs because it keeps the infrastructure of super-8 stronger overall.

The amount of films that can be loaded into super-8 cartridges per hour by anyone other than Kodak is signficantly less than what Kodak can do per hour, add on the possibility of more jamming, especially because the stocks are different, and it becomes a tedious process for anyone that loads Super-8 cartridges.

Just wished kodak would put a more favourable filmstock in their cartridges, prefer to shoot film purchased direct from kodak, but at present they've done themselves no favours with 64t.

Thankyou everyone for the replies.

Andy

• Premium Member
Just wished kodak would put a more favourable filmstock in their cartridges, prefer to shoot film purchased direct from kodak, but at present they've done themselves no favours with 64t.

Thankyou everyone for the replies.

Andy

Yeah, I really agree.