Storyboarding software: FrameForge 3D Studio 2? Anyone use it?

Lance Boyle

When I first heard about this software I was really excited. I downloaded the trial version to give it a shot. Have to admit that the program was really complicated at least for me. It almost seems that you have to have a complete knownledge of 3D animation skills to even miss with it. After reading the manual and doing a some tutorials I still had a hard time messing with it. I personally hired an illustrator to do my storyboards, just wanted to give the program a chance. You should download the free trial and see if it works for u.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Program or no program - anything more than just a quick stick figure or floor plan is going to take some time and some skill.

I've tried Frame Forge a few times and always find myself lost in all the detail, losing sense of the general feel of the shot I'm working. I ended up doing thumbnail sketches and floor plans for myself before I even tried the shot in Frame Forge, and at that point I had what I needed for my needs - a visual indication to communicate the shot to others.

I would probably say that for the price of Frame Forge you're better off enrolling in a drawing class. ANYONE can bring their drawing skills up to a level where others can recognise what you've drawn - it just takes practice, practice, practice.

If you're looking to Frame Forge (or similar) for help with 3D space, perspective and lens field-of-view, you can get a lot from open source programs like Blender and SketchUp.

Hope this helped :)

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

• Premium Member

I have used FrameForge some in the past. For example, on the project "Room Service" that I wrote on here about that took place in an actual hotel room, I used the real dimensions of the room to confirm if certain shots would even be possible in the space we were dealing with.

It is a very slow, but I found, easy program to use. It has plenty of glitches though, so it can be rather annoying at times, but very cool in the right situation.

Kevin Zanit