Tips for purchasing equipment

Hello,

I am recent graduate of film school and am in the need of buying supplies on my limited budget. Now, I know the main places to get things (Samy's,FilmTools etc.), but for certian elements of my ditty bag I am wondering if there are places that you guys can reccomend that would help me avoid the hefty mark-ups of these stores solely dedicated to filmmaking/photography. For example, instead of buying a mag lite from Samy's going to Home Depot and buying one that is cheaper. I am just looking for any tips you guys can give so that I can make my collection of equipment and supplies complete as frugally as possible. Specifically I am looking for cloth tape measure and black wrap. Thanks. (Forgive me if this question has been pored over already in the forums but I spent some time searching and found nothing relating to this)

• Premium Member

It might help if you tell us what department you are trying to get into. The cloth measuring tape makes it sound as if you're trying to get into camera, but the black wrap sounds like grip. And by the way, it's not necessary for you to own black wrap. It's an expendable item that should be purchased by production.

It might help if you tell us what department you are trying to get into. The cloth measuring tape makes it sound as if you're trying to get into camera, but the black wrap sounds like grip. And by the way, it's not necessary for you to own black wrap. It's an expendable item that should be purchased by production.

I apologize for not being more clear. I am shooting small projects where I generally am pulling multiple duties Grip/Electric/Camera and I just want to be as prepared as possible for potential situations as they arise. Also, I am often offered work as a 1st/2nd AC or as a grip or gaffer and I think I still have things to learn in all of these departments so I am inclined to take the jobs as they come. Thanks again.