Best camera in highlights condition (with Mini-35)

Thibaut de Chemellier

Hi,

I'm gonna shoot a music video in Paris this month with the Mini-35 system. All the sequences are in exterior condition with bright sunshine and all the people will wear white clothes...what's the best camera for the job :dvx100,200 Sony Z1, JVC HD-100 or Canon xl2, xlh1 ?

What kind of filters or set ups are the most effective (black or White Promist, Low contrast or Ultra contrast?)

I will only have diffusion frame and mirrors... no HMI.

I'll use Nikon AiS or HS-Zeiss primes.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'm gonna shoot a music video in Paris this month with the Mini-35 system. All the sequences are in exterior condition with bright sunshine and all the people will wear white clothes...what's the best camera for the job :dvx100,200 Sony Z1, JVC HD-100 or Canon xl2, xlh1 ?

What kind of filters or set ups are the most effective (black or White Promist, Low contrast or Ultra contrast?)

I will only have diffusion frame and mirrors... no HMI.

I'll use Nikon AiS or HS-Zeiss primes.

Thanks

Define your idea of "best", then we can perhaps suggest a solution.

I though it was obvious...Witch camera has the best dynamic in high levels...I don't want that extreme highlights become yellowish....

I was told by a very good Video camera tech here in Paris that it was the Panasonic dvx-100 & hvx-200 that were the best on that point.

Anyway I think I'm gonna choose the HVX-200 for its slow motion abilities in 720p.

• 2 weeks later...

At that level camera (no 2/3 chip) I haven't noticed a large difference. The HVX has a larger color space than the HDV/DV cameras also.

I would choose the HVX/Mini35 with some Zeiss lenses with anti-glare coating. Also a mattebox with ND for controlling DOF and some grad filters for wide shots.

White clothing ... in bright sunlight ... is that part of the treatment? That is pretty rough, are they dark skinned?

I would underexpose at least a stop and bring it up in post. 720pN has a lot of room to tweak in post (4:2:2) especially for a SD DVD output.

Please post the video when its done.