DV or HD for film look

Hi all great forum!!!!

I will shoot my first Film within the next 6 months , I know that no DV or HD will reach real film look

but its cheeper to gain experience.

My question:

I would like to know which camera would be the closest to Film look DV 24 fps or HD 24 fps

ex: DV = Panasonic AJ-SDX 900 DVCPRO 50 Camcorder

HD = JVC GY-HD100U Pro-HD Camcorder

So no over 16000$ US which HD or DV camcorder would get me closer to the film look

Cheers

Neil

Edited by neil harris

• Premium Member

They both have the 24P look.

The HD camera has more pixel resolution, although the SDX900 can use better lenses.

The SDX900 has 2/3" CCD's, so you can control the depth of field better.

So my vote would probably be the SDX900 because it will be easier to avoid that deep-focus look from 1/3" CCD's -- but it's not HD resolution.

At 4:2:2 50 Mb/sec, the colors of the SDX900 image will probably be nicer and it will color-correct better.

But you won't be able to get an SDX900 with a decent HD zoom lens for under $16,000. Why are you buying anyway? Why not rent?

Hi David

Thank you for you reply and guidance

I am in Montreal Canada, buying will give us all the time we need to practice and try stuff before shooting

I just read about the importance of the 2/3" CCD's and 24 fps to get closer to the Film look

Do you have any suggestion other than the Panasonic SDX900 DVCPRO 50/25 Camera

arround 15000$ OR LESS (to get film LOOK) and which lens would you recommend

Cheers

Neil

By the way nice to meet you!

• Premium Member

There is a bit of a price gap between the cheaper 24P 2/3" CCD pro cameras and the high-end prosumer 1/3" 24P cameras. Besides the SDX900, there is the new Sony XD HDCAM 1/2" CCD camcorder. And the Sony DSR570 DVCAM. Below that you jump over to the new 24P 1/3" CCD HDV cameras like the JVC HD100, the Panasonic HVX200, and the Canon XLH1 (which is not a true 24P progressive-scan camera but does an fine recreation of the effect for use as 24P.)

But otherwise, I can't really answer your question as to which to get because there are pros and cons to all these cameras.

• Premium Member

That's not really going too work well, putting PL-mount 35mm cine lenses directly onto a 1/3" 3-CCD camcorder... maybe they mean they'll put a standard B4 video mount so one could use the HD lenses made for 2/3" CCD cameras. Even there, you'll have trouble getting really short focal lengths for wide-angle shots on a 1/3" CCD.

That's not really going too work well, putting PL-mount 35mm cine lenses directly onto a 1/3" 3-CCD camcorder... maybe they mean they'll put a standard B4 video mount so one could use the HD lenses made for 2/3" CCD cameras. Even there, you'll have trouble getting really short focal lengths for wide-angle shots on a 1/3" CCD.

This adapter is for you to be able to use 16mm film lenses but I don't know exactly how it's gonna work. They haven't divulged too much information about it.

Here's an excerpt from their press release:

"To further enhance the ability to utilize multiple types of lenses, JVC has also created an exclusive optional lens adapter ? HZ-CA13U ? specifically designed for the 1/3? bayonet mount of JVC ProHD camcorders which enables the use of 16mm film prime lenses with a PL (Positive Lock) mount to address the needs of the cinematography community. "

"By utilizing the exclusive HZ-CA13U lens adapter, facilities with a large stock of 16mm film lenses?particularly film schools and rental houses?will especially benefit from this revolutionary capability, and filmmakers universally will benefit from the wide variety of 16mm lenses available today."

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/press_r...p;feature_id=08

Edited by Rodrigo Otaviano