xl1 lens vignetting

David Sweetman

I'm three days into shooting a summer camp on an xl1 with a standard 16x 5.5-88 zoom. I've been noticing a decent amount of vignetting, which has baffled me for one reason - it happens on the telephoto end of the zoom, and when you move in from wide to long, you can watch the effect increase. I was always under the impression that vignetting occoured at the wide end of the lens. Also, it occurs in low-light when I'm around f/2 or so. (it's the first time I've worked wide-open on an xl1, so maybe that's why I haven't seen it before)

Is this issue standard with this lens? I kind of like the effect, but I might want to shoot something with an xl1 sometime where I don't want to see it. It's not my camera, so if it is a problem with this particular lens, it's not my problem to get fixed, but I would like to know if ALL of them are like that. oh and what causes it, if the explanatin isn't too involved?

Well, here's to another four-plus hours tonight of logging and capturing...

By the way, the camp is in New Mexico, and son of a gun, I want to shoot a western here. We passed through Arizona on the way, and those landscapes were incredible too.

Edited by David Sweetman

• 1 month later...
I'm three days into shooting a summer camp on an xl1 with a standard 16x 5.5-88 zoom. I've been noticing a decent amount of vignetting, which has baffled me for one reason - it happens on the telephoto end of the zoom, and when you move in from wide to long, you can watch the effect increase. I was always under the impression that vignetting occoured at the wide end of the lens. Also, it occurs in low-light when I'm around f/2 or so. (it's the first time I've worked wide-open on an xl1, so maybe that's why I haven't seen it before)

Is this issue standard with this lens? I kind of like the effect, but I might want to shoot something with an xl1 sometime where I don't want to see it. It's not my camera, so if it is a problem with this particular lens, it's not my problem to get fixed, but I would like to know if ALL of them are like that. oh and what causes it, if the explanatin isn't too involved?

Well, here's to another four-plus hours tonight of logging and capturing...

By the way, the camp is in New Mexico, and son of a gun, I want to shoot a western here. We passed through Arizona on the way, and those landscapes were incredible too.

What F stop are you at? Anything higher than F8 can resuly in funkiness...

ash =o)