What Camera Format for Cable release?

Tiffany Dang

• Premium Member
Hello,

I'm considering to do a cooking show pilot. It will be shot in a house, not a kitchen studio. What is the camera format for cable release?

Any advices will be appreciated.

Tiffany

You need to check with your client to find out which format they prefer. Super-16 is a popular origination format, even for HD:

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm

Most cable cooking shows are shot on video, the cable networks such as food will accept a range of production formats but require air masters to be on Digibeta. The only formats that networks tend to have production limitations on are HDV and DV, usually only a small percentage of the show can be shot on these formats.

But from the way you worded it I suspect you are doing this on spec in which case it doesn't relly matter since it won't air and and just needs to look good on DVD.

• Premium Member
Most cable cooking shows are shot on video, the cable networks such as food will accept a range of production formats but require air masters to be on Digibeta. The only formats that networks tend to have production limitations on are HDV and DV, usually only a small percentage of the show can be shot on these formats.

But from the way you worded it I suspect you are doing this on spec in which case it doesn't relly matter since it won't air and and just needs to look good on DVD.

My point was that using Super-16 for production could help "separate you from the pack" with a true film look. To me, most of the cooking shows on cable look pretty bland, and the food often looks plastic. Flames from the cook stove often test the highlight capability of some video cameras. Film is often preferred for food commercials.

John, I wasn't trying to correct you or anything like that. Super 16 could look great, that point is well taken, but the budgets of these shows tend to be very low hence the visual quality of the production suffers as you point out. I was simply stating the reality of the situation.

As the cable world become more focused on smaller groups of viewers per show per channel, we can all lament the pathetic production values that have become the norm. We live in a time when you can go home to your 60 inch HD plasmal display with 5.1 sound and watch a cooking show shot on DV using only the camera mic! (I saw this a few weeks ago.)

It would be a very high budget cable cooking show indeed for a network to put up the money for a super 16 piolt! :-)