Getting work as a director

I have been directing stuff for the past year, and have been working as a camera assistant for 4 years before that. I have made a showreel of my work and am wondering what is the next step? Should I phone aound production companies to see if they are looking for new directors or should I visit them door to door with my showreel in hand? I am interested to here how others got their first paid gig as a director.

:)

Let me know if you figure it out. It seems it's got something to do with people knowing about you, and people liking your work. Festivals seem to be a pretty popular way to get "discovered."

However, the bit about:

"Should I phone aound production companies to see if they are looking for new directors?"

Directors don't seem to be in remarkably short supply...so I wouldn't hold up much hope for that approach. I mean it's not like you're selling newspapers.

It's standard procedure to have an agent, even if you find and land the job yourself. They'll take about 10% I think it is from your pay. There's some good books out there with explanations of how that works - it's got a cheezy title, but the book "How to Make it in Hollywood" lays it out pretty well.

Thanks for replying. I actually live in Ireland so hopefully the number of directors beating down doors is not so high over here! I will definitely give that book a look though as I am sure there are general principles that apply to the industry no matter where you are. I have also entered my short film in a lot of film festivals recently, mostly American and Canadian in the hope that my work will get seen by industry professionals who may be interested. Also just to say I looked at your showreel and was very impressed. I wish you all the best with it. :)