Critiques on my new reel?

I just posted my reel up on youtube. Sorry for the low quality, im working on building a site that will allow me more bandwidth to post at a better resolution. Basically I want to see if im on the right track here. I have work from 5 more films I shot coming back to me this month, so some of the better shots in those will replace the lesser shots of the reel as needed. Any feedback would be great.

Also, how much does one's reel contribute to getting work in the industry?

I've got to add that it was quite boring. You have some shots in there that have nothing going on in them, like most of the office scenes.

I wouldn't push for a 3 minute reel if you are going to add filler.

There was some nice looking stuff in there, but it's hindered by the mediocre shots.

You will have a chance to get back at me soon when I post my reel.

I know you look at your shots and like them for different elements but you have to know when to kill your babies. The reel becomes repetitive, I believe your montage sequence should reflect diversity in your work, if you do not have the depth there, shorten it. You?re probably like me and focused on shooting drama, then convey that. Have sequences cut together, good directors want to see that your capturing the scene, emotion, not excessive camera moves and crane shots and showing off, that?s what music clips are for. Maybe have a one minute montage, then some grabs from the films separately, if there not cut the way you like them, re-cut them.

Earlier in the year I realised I didn't have much exterior footage, I hooked up with a short film and asked to shoot there second unit stuff. They were happy to, and not did I only get some cracker footage for my reel, the film was probably 40% my stuff. (No way was that any indication of the first unit cameraman, he could shoot).

Start with your good stuff first, capture them.

I also feel you?re trying to replicate styles. Read the script and see the images in your head, your first instinct are probably the best. If director references or demands a certain film look find a derived style.

Framing and composition was good.

Please feel free to get to the head of the line to scrutinize my reel when I post it. People don't learn unless you use sincerity.

G. McMahon

I'm an editor so not an expert at Cimematography but I didn't see any cinema until 20 seconds into it. In a big fast paced studio setting if they don't like it in 30-60 seconds it's gone.

There are some very nice shots in there. But some are too static and seem like filler. Maybe more movement, dolly shots perhaps? Is there quite a bit of hand held shots in there? If so nice job on them. Overall it seems pretty good. Get to the good stuff quicker and maybe shorten it buy a minute. Especially if it's only those what, 4-5 pieces?

Those are just my opinions.

What do you shoot mostly? Film, HD, video?

-Shawn

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I just recieved footage from my 4 most recent projects so I am in the process of re-cutting everything. Time to kill some of the lesser shots and replace them.

Maybe more movement, dolly shots perhaps? Is there quite a bit of hand held shots in there? If so nice job on them. Overall it seems pretty good. Get to the good stuff quicker and maybe shorten it buy a minute. Especially if it's only those what, 4-5 pieces?

Those are just my opinions.

What do you shoot mostly? Film, HD, video?

-Shawn

I am going to tighten up the begining and see if I can start off with some better shots. About 60% of the footage in there is handheld. Almost everything in there is film based shot on 16mm and S16mm. Only the black and white shots of the guy tied to a chair is 24p video - the rest is film.

Guest Mario Contini

I enjoyed the reel as well. What kept me watching was the intercutting of different films that shared a little bit of each story throughout the reel. Great progression with the music.

As said before, take a look at the reel and make a list of shots that don't really seem to show the best of your work. I know that you may not have a lot of films to choose from, but some of the static shots (camera and performance) seem to slow things down. Personally, I think you could do better without the hooded man or the drama on the couch. Those shots seem out of place and offer no progression, unlike the rest of the reel. Also, go for a minute.

Good work!

Guest Jean Marc SELVA
I enjoyed the reel as well. What kept me watching was the intercutting of different films that shared a little bit of each story throughout the reel. Great progression with the music.

As said before, take a look at the reel and make a list of shots that don't really seem to show the best of your work. I know that you may not have a lot of films to choose from, but some of the static shots (camera and performance) seem to slow things down. Personally, I think you could do better without the hooded man or the drama on the couch. Those shots seem out of place and offer no progression, unlike the rest of the reel. Also, go for a minute.

Good work!

Agreed to all of this. But bear in mind also that you cannot satisfy everyone with one single reel.

You'd need differents reels for commercials as you would for drama. In other words know your goal, or be ready to cut several reels.

Jean Marc Selva, DOP, Paris.