Reccomendations on film stocks

Ali Nusrat

Hey guys,

I am starting production soon on a short film about a young brother and sister that go out to the desert to find their father. The director and I both thought it would be interesting if we gave it that George Washington feel (DP Tim Orr, Dir. David Gordon Green). The look has a kind of sepia nostalgia feel to it, which I read on the forum he achieved through antique suede filters. Do you have any advice on shooting in this style-especially the level of filter to use(i.e. 1,2, or 3)? Is that type of coloring something that can completely be done in post?

Also, The director is getting a bulk deal on Kodak stock so and I think we are shooting 7218 (for the poppier colors) but I was thinking it would be better to shoot on something a little slower for the day exteriors out in the desert that could give some more saturation (50D maybe?)

Any advice and tips you guys might have for shooting in the desert would be great also.

Thanks in advance.

Before your shoot, go out to your location to find out light levels at the time of day you'll be working. Depending upon the time of day, your desert scene can get very bright; you're likely going to need to use ND filters with any stock, particularly 500T. Using a slower daylight stock like 50D may simplify your daytime shots. You'll probably want to do a short film test with the color filters to find one that approximates your needs. Also check with your post production house; the sepia tone effect can be created during telecine or printing, so ask for examples.

Edited by Robert Hughes