K-3 spring motor

Adam Sonnenfeld

Hey guys, just purchased a really nice looking K-3 from Russia on Ebay. Everything seems to be clean, and I'm picking up a few spools from KodakNYC tomorrow. I was told not to run the motor at high speeds without film, but I tried to wind it to test at 8fps and I'm not able to turn the crank counterclockwise, and I don't want to force it. I've used cameras that wind without film, and cameras that will only wind with it, and I was wondering what the K-3 is. Hopefully I've got nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hey guys, just purchased a really nice looking K-3 from Russia on Ebay. Everything seems to be clean, and I'm picking up a few spools from KodakNYC tomorrow. I was told not to run the motor at high speeds without film, but I tried to wind it to test at 8fps and I'm not able to turn the crank counterclockwise, and I don't want to force it. I've used cameras that wind without film, and cameras that will only wind with it, and I was wondering what the K-3 is. Hopefully I've got nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

You should be able to crank it at any speed no problem, and whoever told you was right not to crank it at higher speeds without film in it. I'd get the camera checked and serviced anyway since you got it from ebay.

Kev

Thanks!

You can test of camera mechanism without film on all speeds up to 32 fps.

The mechanism must run fluently, without big noisy.

The spring motor of K-3 have ratcheting device.

The spring loading handle must be turn anticlockwise,( counter-clockwise) with clicks ( work parts of stop ),-

you load of spring.

If you can not turn on anticlockwise,( counter-clockwise) this can be full loaded spring or jammed motor.

The spring loading handle must be turn clockwise, easy (free wheeling ).

If you loaded spring, press on start button and cameras not run, you need check position of rolles near base cogs wheel. The cogs of base cogs wheel can jammed on rollers ( need adjust of position of rollers ).

You can check TTL meter and need check sensitivity of TTL sensor.

And about idea

" I'd get the camera checked and serviced anyway since you got it from ebay. ".

How many money you pay ? You can buy serviced, checked camera K-3 for $650 ?

I think, you not wish pay big money, but, wish have checked and serviced camera.

You need seek compromise between price and condition.

You can buy K-3 from any source and send me for service, test and adjust.

But, you will need pay money for service.

If you will have any technical questions about K-3, can ask me.

You can visit of my site and read many informations about K-3 cameras.