now that Canon has $3999.00 XH-A1 which camera to buy

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

I'm thinking about buying a camera and although I like the HVX-200, I've been leaning towards

the XL-H1. Now Canon is coming out with the XH-G1 ($6999.00) and the XH-A1 for three grand

less (No jackpack.) I'd like the HD-SDI out but for the money I think that I could do well with the

XH-A1 as I get hired to shoot shorts and it looks like a nice camera (and I would want the HD-SDI

out for projects with more money where we could record to an HDCAM deck but that won't be

common enough so I figure for those when I rent the deck I'll rent a camera.)

I'm sure this has been discussed a lot but I missed those discussions and haven't found everything

in my research although I will continue to search but in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts

on shooting HDV vs. the HD of the HVX-200. How do you weigh the pros and cons of the optics, the

imagers, the different numbers Canon's 1440x1080 vs. the HVX-200 which is less I understand, the 24F

of Canon vs. the seemingly more desirable 24 options of the HVX-200, the GOP of the HDV format vs.

the HD and thus tape vs. flash cards or maybe Firestores have diminshed that issue in favor of the

HVX-200 and finally (although I know that this is not a post-production forum) how your projects have

made out in post due to the differences of these two formats.

If I need to say it, I'm most interested in using the camera for making great-looking "films" like

everyone else.

"The number one question on the internet: 'How do i make video look like film'?"

The top three answers: 1. "If you want it to look like film, just shoot film."

2. "Never ask this question again. There are a billion pages of archived notes

on this."

3. "Hire me."