hey guys. are mounts basically different screw sizes (and types) for lenses? I'm extremely confused because there are so many different mount types floating around out there. There's PL, C, Cameflex/Eclair, Arri standard, Arri C, Optex, etc.

For example, if i have an Eclair ACL 2. What type of lenses could I fit on that sucker without using an adaptor? Could I use any old Angeniuex 10-150? or does it have to be an Angeniuex with a designated Cameflex/Eclair (or some other) type mount?

Lastly, is there a chart or website out there that catagorizes all of these different mount types and compatible lenses?

thanks a bundle!!!

The ACL has a C mount and an ACL adapter mount. The C mount is the small inner thread. The ACL adapter mount is the outer thread. You can use any C mount lens or C mount adapter (to Nikon F, Canon FD, Minolta, M42 etc.) on the ACL. You can get ACL adapters for Arri Standard mount, Eclair mount, Arri Bayo, PL etc. They are a lot more sturdy than the C mount so if you can get one of these specific ACL mounts it is worth it. But without adapters you can only use C mount lenses.

The different mounts are all very different...so you can't put an Arri Bayo lens on an Arri Standard mount.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Jimmy,

If your B-adaptor has channels for the lens protrusions then you're in good shape. There should be a screw-down ring to keep the standard lens tight. As you tighten the ring, three lugs are brought down into the lens mount channel.

Cheers,

Bernie.