I am looking into getting a dv camra and i need some questions answered

grahamstanly

Hey guys i have made the decision to purchace 2 camera's, the k-3 16mm, and a mini dv camera. In my film class I have use multiple different mini Dv's like the gl2, the xl1, and the xl2. But i am not sure if those are the best quality for the money, I have 2000 dollars to spend, and i am looking for a quality camera that I can shoot small indie films on. I was also looking at the Sony DSR-450WS but I have never tried it, or talked to anyone who has. Currently I am not set on any brand and i am very open minded.

Also is saving up a bit more and geting a HD camera even worth it because they look nice and all but for the price, the tecnology just dosnt seem to be there yet.

Thanks for the help guys.

I would definitely go for the DVX100. It's the go-to camera for standard def prosumer video shooting. It's really penetrated the industry as well - Steve Buscemi recently shot a feature called Lonesome Jim with the DVX.

A new 100B can easily cost you 3000+. But if you're willing to go for an older model, like the DVX100P or 100A, you can get one for as cheap as 400 dollars used, and it really is an amazing little camera. What you could do is buy the cheap used one, and then send it in right away to get the heads replaced, which may run you around 900 dollars. You'll have a near good-as-new camera for less than 2,000.

Just check classifieds, craigs list, ebay, whatever. There are plenty of them out there. Just do your homework with the buyer, make sure the lens is in good condition - and again, I highly suggest getting the heads completely replaced if the camera's used.

If you're sensible then ebay is a great resource. Just steer clear of sellers with negative or no feedback or those who want payment via Western Union etc. I bought my Sony VX2000E, LowePro Mini Trekker and Century Optics Ultra Fisheye adaptor all through ebay saving a heap of cash in the process.