canon 518 auto zoom

Guest stroxell82

Guest stroxell82

This is my first ever post here.I have dumped video and went to real filmmaking.I won this auction for a canon 518 auto zoom for 17.50 not to shabby.Looking at pics online it has a pistol grip but the one I won has a flip up grip so what I'm asking is was the camera id wrong?The pics don't show other features of the camera so thats all I got to go by.The fisrt pic is the cam I won and the other is a pic of a 518

post-14345-1155593765.jpg

post-14345-1155593828.jpg

Edited by stroxell82

This is my first ever post here.I have dumped video and went to real filmmaking.I won this auction for a canon 518 auto zoom for 17.50 not to shabby.Looking at pics online it has a pistol grip but the one I won has a flip up grip so what I'm asking is was the camera id wrong?The pics don't show other features of the camera so thats all I got to go by.The fisrt pic is the cam I won and the other is a pic of a 518

The following link takes you to Canon's website where they have a picture and technical info on all their Super 8 cameras. Hope this helps with your identification.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/cine/f_index.html

I think you'll find that the Canon 518 that you have is not an auto zoom model. On the

top right side (as you hold the 518 auto zoom for shooting) there are 2 black buttons for

Telephoto & Wide-angle. The 518 with the folding handle does not appear to have the auto

zoom facility. I think the correct name for the camera you have is a Canon Zoom 518 super 8.

If this is the case look on the bright side less to go wrong. Here are some pictures so you can

compare the 2 models.

Firstly your model http://snipurl.com/uycm

Secondly the Auto zoom http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_Auto_Zoom_518

Ciao zuma

I also think that the flip grip 518 model does not have the manual exposure over-ride (I could be wrong). I consider it a must on older super 8 cameras. The 518 AutoZoom has an over-ride dial at the base of the camera (where the grip connects) while the flip grip 518 does not appear to have one.

Guest stroxell82

Thanks for the info.I'm pretty sure its on of canons first super 8.I only payed 17.50 so I wont complain.I'm gonna get more.

The one you have is definitely the 518 Zoom (as compared to the Auto Zoom.) The Zoom does not have manual exposure control, and is therefore an inferior model, but like you say, it didn't cost much so roll with it, but you definitely want to find something with exposure control. Look for an Autozoom as you can find them in the same price range and they are fine basic cameras.

Rick