Telecine And Scanner

Hisham  Maleh

To Create a digital cinema master in high- performance 2k-4k Resolution , i know ther are 2 - kinds of machine from film to video -telecine and film scanner . what is the difference between them ? is telecine

less Resolution then film scanner? is film scanner best for CGI and visual effects . Best Regards

• Premium Member
To Create a digital cinema master in high- performance 2k-4k Resolution , i know ther are 2 - kinds of machine from film to video -telecine and film scanner . what is the difference between them ? is telecine

less Resolution then film scanner? is film scanner best for CGI and visual effects . Best Regards

The Spirit 4K is high in resolution and not a film scanner.

The main difference is that scanners run slower for the same resolution, stop-n-start, and are pin-registered. A Spirit is a line-array CCD machine where the film moves continuously past a single row of light sensors. So a transfer using a 2K or 4K "datacine" may be cheaper because it can be done faster, but for shots to be composited, you may want to use a film scanner.

Otherwise D.I. places have tested the 4K Spirit, Northlight, Arriscanner, and Imagica, etc. for doing D.I.'s and tell me that the differences are not dramatic. Many like the 4K Spirit transfers, but for efx work, they usually still recommend a film scanner be used because it will be a little steadier.

Thank You David :

Your informatios meaning that Film Scanner record all the detalls of film hig resolution and best color

quality , but in less speed then telecine whitch ttransfer film images to video in real time .

best regards .

Hisham Maleh

Director Of Photography

Freelance

Film - Hi Def - Video

Damascus- Syria