Sony HD - FX1 versus Z1

Ken OSullivan

Hello Ken,

we bought the FX1 when it came out (the Z1 wasn't released yet) and there are really not many differences. The only "picture" option that the Z1 has and the FX1 doesn't is the black strech (which is just an on/off switch in the menu, no other settings). The Z1 has XLR inputs but aren't that good, for about 250$ you can get an beachtek adapter for the FX1 which works more than fine.

The great thing about the Z1 is that it's PAL and NTSC, you can switch from 50i to 60i which can be really useful if you have to shoot in/for different countries. As the Z1 is pro equipment and the FX1 is prosumer, you may have better support service from Sony if you have the Z1.

Both camera offer exactly the same picture quality, no difference at all. You can buy an FX1 and a HC1 for the same price as a Z1 or buy a FX1 with many accessories (matte box, batteries, beachtek, bag, tripod,...).

Here's a good link to more informations: SonyHDVinfo

Edited by Olivier Vanaschen

Hello Ken,

we bought the FX1 when it came out (the Z1 wasn't released yet) and there are really not many differences. The only "picture" option that the Z1 has and the FX1 doesn't is the black strech (which is just an on/off switch in the menu, no other settings). The Z1 has XLR inputs but aren't that good, for about 250$ you can get an beachtek adapter for the FX1 which works more than fine.

The great thing about the Z1 is that it's PAL and NTSC, you can switch from 50i to 60i which can be really useful if you have to shoot in/for different countries. As the Z1 is pro equipment and the FX1 is prosumer, you may have better support service from Sony if you have the Z1.

Both camera offer exactly the same picture quality, no difference at all. You can buy an FX1 and a HC1 for the same price as a Z1 or buy a FX1 with many accessories (matte box, batteries, beachtek, bag, tripod,...).

Here's a good link to more informations: SonyHDVinfo

Hi Olivier,

Many thanks for the info. I had a look at the comparison and the only differences I can spot are the lack of (2) XLR inputs, FX1 doesn't seem to support DVCAM format and doesn't seem to have timecode settings, would you say this is correct ? Lack of timecode would be a real problem for editing..

Thanks again

ken