Hello British People

Patrick McGowan

I wanted to bring an NTSC camera over to see my relatives in Northern Ireland.

Here is the question for all of the inhabitants of the British Islands!

Can you read this ok? My typing is in English so I don't know how well it will tranlate for you but...

Are there any adaptors I can use to convert my good old fashioned American 120v 60 Hz red white and blue electrical device to your Al-Queda lovin' 50Hz?

Thank you.

Oh, I also have a giant NASCAR beer dispenser, would that violate TSA's ban on passengers taking liquids on the aircraft? Can I take my gel padded extreme Bible?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Most modern equipment uses switch-mode power supplies, which can generally deal with anything. Check on the back/base/instruction manual for a phrase such as "110-240V AC 50/60Hz", which indicates compatibility. This tends to apply to almost all modern gear - cellphone and laptop supplies, battery chargers, field monitors, etc. If it just says "110V AC 60Hz" then you're stuffed.

In the former case you'll just need a plug adaptor, which you should be able to pick up at the airport or any travel-oriented place. When I travel to the US I tend to take one adaptor and a multi-way extension block because the adaptors are pretty feeble and you probably don't want a wall-wart hanging off one.

Phil