Kodak 16mm Fine Grain Microfilm 50' Roll

grantsmith

Hello,

I picked up a roll of this film cheaply assuming it was some kind of tri-x b+w. It seems to be (I'm guessing) some kind of microfilm like which you get in libraries.

As it is 16mm I was hoping to use it in my camera though I don';t seem to be able to find an ASA number.

Does anyone know what the ASA is and what I'd be looking to expect if I tried it in a movie camera?

I'd also be interested in actually knowing what it is

I couldnt really find much about it on google. There dosnt seem to be a stock number either (unless 1456 is it)

Thanks,

GRant

• Premium Member
Hello,

I picked up a roll of this film cheaply assuming it was some kind of tri-x b+w. It seems to be (I'm guessing) some kind of microfilm like which you get in libraries.

As it is 16mm I was hoping to use it in my camera though I don';t seem to be able to find an ASA number.

Does anyone know what the ASA is and what I'd be looking to expect if I tried it in a movie camera?

I couldnt really find much about it on google. There dosnt seem to be a stock number either (unless 1456 is it)

Thanks,

GRant

Information about Kodak microfilm products:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/TKX/na...crofilmsProduct

Many microfilms are unperforated, or don't have motion-picture perfs.

• Premium Member

1456 is a code for "SILVER HALIDE MICROFILM: 16mm FINE GRAIN 1456, (ESTAR base)." acording to a state contrct I Picked up from Google.

IF it is perforated try starting at ASA 10-25 and expect fairly high contrast..

If it is not in the original box, (which should have a label from Kodak or "recordak") you are probaly wasting time. The box should have the lenth, and you may find up to 215 feet on a 100 ft microfilm spool (which WILL fit a movie camera- even though it is plastic) as Microfilm can be on a thin base.

(The only time anyone ever paid me to shoot film, it was microfilm)

Most microfilms are unperforated so you probably won't be able to use it in a MP camera but you could check to be sure. There are some other uses for it, users of sub-mini format still cameras (tiny spy cameras) sometimes like to use microfilms. I have a Kiev 303 that I shoot 16mm microfilm in, then develope it in a low contrast developer to get a more normal contrast range.

Edited by David A Venhaus