My FIRST Post! :) (and a question)

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and I had a question. I live/work in NYC, and I am trying to get more practice loading. I am pretty good already with 16mm, but I was wondering if there was a local place to get better with other formats/cameras like Panavision Goldens, Arri 535's, etc. as well as with things like threading. Since I am generally busy and working (I do grip work as well) I am not looking for a workshop, class, etc. that is on-going. Preferably, I'd like a place that I can just pop into (or make an appointment) just to practice a little mag loading/camera threading on my own. Do you think if I called CSC or Pana or some other place, they'd let me?

Thanks a lot!

:)

• Premium Member

Hi there,

You should definitely call the camera rental houses in your area. It helps to be specific about what mags you'd like to learn to load in advance - for example, if you've got an upcoming shoot on an Arri BL4, let them know that.

Usually, busy days for the rental house are Mondays and Fridays (returns and check-outs from weekend rentals), so try to avoid calling them on those days. Do a bit a research beforehand and look up magazine threading pattern in the ASC Manual or Elkins Assistant's Manual. Be nice, and don't take up too much of their time - they're doing you a favor.

Also, it doesn't hurt to bring them food - bagels, pastries, etc. - they'll remember you. Just think of it as building a relationship with the rental house. When you're DP'ing bigger budgeted films, you'll be bringing them business.

Hope this helps!

I second that post. Make friends with rental houses.

We don't have rental houses per say out here, but I have met a few of the bigger shooters in town and have made good enough friends that they let me play with their gear occasionally. Its the best way to get used to new equipment without spending money (maybe after long enough the rental house will just offer you a job, which would make learning gear even easier)

On that note: make friends with the lab, make freinds with the telecine house, make friends with your local community theater groups

The more friends you have in key areas, the easier it is to get things done.

Edited by Michael Collier

:raises hand:

I work at CSC. You should talk to us! Just so you know, we enjoy bagels, donuts, those boxes of coffee from Dunkin or Starbucks, and candy. :D

In all seriousness, I've seen people come in before just to get a crash course on mags or cameras and I don't think it will be a hassle for us. If anything, everyone at CSC enjoys teaching people what they know, and anytime we can help you out, it's a good thing. You might even be able to talk directly to some of the guys in the shop if you want.

Good luck and if you come in, let me know when so you can introduce yourself!

• Premium Member

. . . and that idea would expand well to grip hire houses as well. getting on well with the teams, as well as showing them you can take responsability for pieces of kit, will help you immensely when pricing gear. If a producer knows he will get a better hire deal if you are involved then your stock rises.

Annie, next week CSC are gonna be swamped in goodies, courtesy of the forum assistants!! lucky things!!!

Hey guys, thanks for the excellent replies, much appreciated! :)

SpikeyAnnie, you work at the CSC in NYC? I just spoke to Arthur Ellis, and I may be coming in on Monday (8/28). Will you be around? Let me know if you are -- I will try to find you (oh, and what name would I be looking for? Or should I just ask for "Spikey"??).

cheers,

DW.

Edited by Daniel W

Arthur knows his stuff, you'll be in good hands. I might be around, more likely on the checkout floor than in the back...you can just ask for Annie! I will also most likely be very tired because I will have just returned from a shoot in Connecticut, but feel free to introduce yourself and let me know if you have questions!