Bleach Bypass + S16mm?

Do the test before the shoot with the lab you are thinking to use. Contrast test, latitude test, etc. Underexposing a stop or so is usually recommended by a lot of labs. I rated my meter to ISO500 for 7217 stock and got a good result.

Ry

I did it on a music video so I didn't print any of the footage, don't know whether you'll be going to print or telecine. The main lesson for me was that you should shoot tests ahead of time to figure out how you fast you want to rate whatever stock you're using, obviously a full skip-bleach will increase the density significantly so you don't want to end up with your lights pegged at 50 and still overexposed.

Besides that, I liked the texture it creates, it brings out the grain a little but it's different than you'd get from pushing or underexposing. There's a good AC article on "Saving Private Ryan" where Kaminski talks about how skip-bleach brought out texture in the costumes, I believe it's in the online archives. It also will increase contrast, reduce color and give you a more pronounced effect than skip-bleaching a print.

Do the test before the shoot with the lab you are thinking to use. Contrast test, latitude test, etc. Underexposing a stop or so is usually recommended by a lot of labs. I rated my meter to ISO500 for 7217 stock and got a good result.

Ry

Good call. Defiantly testing before shooting.

I did it on a music video so I didn't print any of the footage, don't know whether you'll be going to print or telecine. The main lesson for me was that you should shoot tests ahead of time to figure out how you fast you want to rate whatever stock you're using, obviously a full skip-bleach will increase the density significantly so you don't want to end up with your lights pegged at 50 and still overexposed.

Besides that, I liked the texture it creates, it brings out the grain a little but it's different than you'd get from pushing or underexposing. There's a good AC article on "Saving Private Ryan" where Kaminski talks about how skip-bleach brought out texture in the costumes, I believe it's in the online archives. It also will increase contrast, reduce color and give you a more pronounced effect than skip-bleaching a print.

Cool I'll read that article, but what about movies made on S16 that did a bleach bypass? Any?

I am interested in this, do most labs charge a set up fee? Will labs do a bleach bypass for small productions, let's say a couple thousand feet of footage? I know every lab is different so I guess will something like DuArt New York provide this service for small productions?

Edited by Patrick S. McGowan

Some labs charge a set up fee while others will just add a per foot charge. On the music video I shot, we did a full skip bleach at Alpha Cine and I believe the cost was something like an extra seven cents per foot, same as a one stop push. That made it affordable for us, I think we had them skip bleach about 1,000 feet.

Guest Stephen Murphy

Ive done it before plenty of times and ive always been very happy with the results. Theres some footage on my website that might interest you. Depending on the stock you choose it can give you a beautifull texture. As has been recommended by others be sure to test.

Ive done it before plenty of times and ive always been very happy with the results. Theres some footage on my website that might interest you. Depending on the stock you choose it can give you a beautifull texture. As has been recommended by others be sure to test.

Nice. Footage looked great. I'm unfortunatly shooting with Zeiss super speeds and not the cooke S4's like I intended but should be fine. Our stock is the fuji Eterna 500 8673. Tests are tomorrow. Look forward to what it comes up with.