The New Happy Birthday Song - Royalty Free !

Mark Allen

If you've been producing long enough, you've eventually come across a moment where the script said, "they sing happy birthday" and your legal department (or someone) says "we can't afford that." And you sit back and think.... "We can't afford to have them sing happy freaking birthday?????"

But it happens a lot... So! As my generous gesture the world of filmmaking, I've decided to provide a solution. I hope it serves of some use - especially to the indies... who could never afford the song...

The New Happy Birthday Song - Royalty Free for Producers!

There is a NEW Happy Birthday Song.

www.thenewhappybirthdaysong.com

Film, Television, Theatrical, and Show Producers as well as Restaurant Owners and Event Managers will find this of particular interest because the new song is ROYALTY FREE. Yes, it's true the old song was prohibitively expensive to use in productions - the new song is FREE.

Please share it with everyone you know - after all, you don't want your friends singing the OLD song ILLEGALLY! Videotape yourself singing it and get it posted. Musicians, make your own arrangement of it and send it in to be posted. And, of course, tell everyone!

For those of you who aren't aware of how music royalties work, this may seem unbelievably random. But for the Producer's among you, help the world to embrace the idea of a free birthday song and share it with anyone who could use it.

www.thenewhappybirthdaysong.com

It's yours, a GIFT. A Happy Birthday Gift... albiet early or late, but for about 1/3rd of a percent of you, a gift on the acutal day!

Great idea!

My friend and I often talked about doing the same thing; writing a birthday song and offering it for use for free in films and tv in the hopes that it would eventually supplant the "Happy Birthday to You" song, the copyright for which, thanks to the Copyright Act of 1976 and the Copyright extension acts of 1998, now won't expire till 2030 (prior to those acts, it was set to expire in 1991), over a hundred years after the original song "Good Morning to All," was written.

Yeah good thing that Disney, who helped push through the extensions, has never benefited from any public domain material.

I hear they paid big bucks for Snow White, Cinderella, etc etc.

You stole this idea from master shake (ATHF) didn't you? where he records a version of happy birthday with zack wilde and jon gacey from rush. Except they called it something like 'anual aniversery of life journey formation' and I think they wanted to make some money off of it (zack wildes participation was expensive apparently)