Shutter, Cinealta and 23.98

John J. Moers

Does it mean there's absolutely no shutter mechanism in effect when running an F900/3 at 23.98 with the (front switch) shutter off? Wouldn't the motion blur be horrible? When I tested it, it did not seem bad in the viewfinder or in a live shot on a monitor. I was shooting talking heads.

• Premium Member
Does it mean there's absolutely no shutter mechanism in effect when running an F900/3 at 23.98 with the (front switch) shutter off? Wouldn't the motion blur be horrible? When I tested it, it did not seem bad in the viewfinder or in a live shot on a monitor. I was shooting talking heads.

No electronic shutter at 24P means a 1/24th of a second shutter speed (exposure time) versus the traditional 1/48th -- so twice as much exposure / blur, but how much motion there is will affect how visible the longer exposure time is. You can also compromise and use 1/32nd.

No electronic shutter at 24P means a 1/24th of a second shutter speed (exposure time) versus the traditional 1/48th -- so twice as much exposure / blur, but how much motion there is will affect how visible the longer exposure time is. You can also compromise and use 1/32nd.

Thanks David for clearing that up.