My 06' reel

Michael Collier

My reel is obviously mostly ENG, but I mix in some of the movies I photographed. I am hopeing to add more narative, but until then when applying I hope these ENG shots can give a window to more planned work. Tell me what you think, what you would change. Its in 3 parts that are usually seperated by menu on the DVD, but I grouped them together for the web. By the way, the second part title sequence, thats me when I was in college. Our talent dropped out at the last second, so I stepped in.

Any suggestions and creative comments I would be very grateful to recieve.

('07 reel will have film. This is all video)

My Demo Reel

That move from the skier to the snowboarder--nice catch. However, I would trim a few frames off the end of that shot. There is something awkward about it, either a jerk in camera movement or something about the way the snowboarder moves.

It all looked a little dark to me, but consistently so. I suspect that my aging monitor is the culprit. . . .

That move from the skier to the snowboarder--nice catch. However, I would trim a few frames off the end of that shot. There is something awkward about it, either a jerk in camera movement or something about the way the snowboarder moves.

I think you might be right, though I think the biggest jerk in the shot is just as I start to track the snowboarder. I was just as surprised as you to see him pop into frame. Also partially why I zoom out, I really had no idea where he was going. For all I knew he was headed to a vert for an arial trick. I had just hiked the mountain minutes prior (the shot of the snowboarder hiking up the mountain. Look where the how far the bottom of that mountain is. 50lbs of gear on that shoot alone. good times)

The darkness I think is from my lazyness. I encoded this from the MPEG render I had made for the DVD. My feature is eating up large chunks of our 1.2 Tb, so I just saved the MPEG. I should go back to my archive tapes and find the original cut.

any other suggestions?

I am sorry, I did look at your goddamn reel before but I forgot I didn't think it was appropriate to comment. Mainly, as I haven't done too much ENG stuff. But, the question I ask you is, what is the reel for? You have the shots, so you don't need to spend that much time showing it. From my interpretation, ENG is more about cutting the story, so keep it brief and quickly go to the sequences.

You cannot cut contrived drama with uncontrived footage, it doesn't work. Have two reels. One contrived corporate/documentary and then ENG. Example cutting a contrived shot with that board rider shot, it looks like you failed to orchestrate the seg-way properly, as opposed to having the board sequence in the ENG sequence which would show you have an eye to adapt or see a dynamic which no one would have thought of. Does that make sense?

Also, there are strong images of soldiers at mourning, that motion, should be cut together.

I guess I trying to say, the montage I am putting under scrutiny is for people to see my work in drama. A teaser for Directors to see how I am utilizing the frame, lighting etc. for story telling purposes, I then hope they will go to the cut sequences for drama (good directors will).

For corporate I will give them something else.