Grittyness and Saturation

JamesJJ

Hello

I am new to using the HDV-ZP1 and i am looking to shoot night scenes with a gritty feel. Kind of like the way Collateral was shot at night by Michael Mann. However during the day scenes i was looking to contrast that with a Saturation approach.

Would anybody have any suggestions on the best way to do this using this camera as i am new to using this particular camera.

Thanks

James

The night scenes in Collateral seem to "gritty" by art direction -- in other words there's a lot of grey in the scene color wise through said method. You'll notice the bright colors introduced are very saturated. I would recommend shooting some test using a picture profile -- setting the saturation high, black stretch off, and playing with the other setting to get the look you want -- Collateral is very "lit" with warm fill in the back ground, a low budget may not be able to reproduce this in EXT., but INT. you may be have a shot. The "gritty"ness is through saturating the scene with the color shades or gray not through under-exposing. I think with the right planning and some tests you ought to be able to get a similar look -- if I'm not mistaken it was photographed HD