Terminal Man

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

I saw Terminal Man today for the first time.I will probably go to see it again.

The cinematography is awesome in this film. I walked to my suv wishing all

the way that I owned an Arriflex 235. Mr. Janusz Kaminski ASC has once again

shared with us a wonderful story told with the movements of the camera and a

beautiful quality of lighting. His lighting of Catherine Zeta Jones was beautiful and

true to the character. Did anyone notice how strong the camera angle was along

with the movement of the camera,quality of light, in the scene where Tom Hanks

ate the first hamburger.? Remember he was almost starving by the time he got

the hamburger. This is a powerful scene and Mr. Hanks revealed the true character

and was supported by the wonderful quality of light and the movements of the camera.

By the time the camera stopped moving and started pull back I had one tear falling

down each cheek. I'm probably a lot older then most of you wonderful energetic and

creative fellows. Some time ago before I did two tours in Vietnam I was in acting

school. Unfortunately for me I am am still able to get in character which causes me

a great deal of pain at times. I was in to Mr. Hanks Character. I was starving,hungry

and in a great deal of pain that has since worn off. This is a powerful film and is a

wonderful example of how the camera and the lighting ,the actors tell a wonderful,

warm,human story. On days like this I wish we could all come together in one location

and make a wonderful motion picture together. It makes me wish for an Arriflex 235

I don't want video assist, just let me look through the viewfinder and move the camera.

Of course don't forget the Kino-flos.

Greg,

If you can, get the latest issue of American Cinematographer, it has the lighting article for The Terminal. Wonderful learning tool when you see the movie again after reading the article. you will go goo goo gaga at the amazing lighting skill of Janus.

Cheers,

C.