Beginner seeking advice

mindbender

Greetings all. I am an absolute novice, with a ridiculously low budget, who is anxious to get her feet wet in the grand art of filmmaking and digital cinematography. My main stumbling block is not knowing where to start when I know next to nothing about the subject. Are there any beginner or overview books or DVDs that you would recommend to someone like me? My immediate goal is to familiarize myself the basics and to produce a few of my own shorts.

Another concern I have is buying the camera itself. Which one will give me the most bang (features and control) for my buck, while keeping in mind that my budget is virtually nonexistent? Obviously, the truly high-end products will not be within my price range, but any recommendations you may have for someone who is just starting out would be greatly appreciated. I have observed that the Canon XL2 and similar professional models have been getting rave reviews; however, I would need to save my money for a considerably long time to be able to afford one. On the other hand, if a reasonably priced consumer model mini-dv camcorder ($250-500) will do the job, I might be able to get one in a matter of a couple months.

Other important questions: Will I need any additional equipment other than a tripod? Should I invest in a dolly or crane? What recommendations do you have for lighting? Is there any specific hardware or software I should buy? (I already have a capture card + Adobe Premiere Pro 2). How do I go about the casting process and picking locations to film? Do I need to draw up contracts and obtain licenses to shoot? How can I market my projects to people who might be willing invest money in them? Are there any other major considerations I've missed that you would like to offer input on?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,

Kristi

Edited by mindbender