Easy CP-16 questions

Michael Collier

Ok, am probably getting a CP-16r for my short (free is always a good thing, and its the film that matters) I have looked up all the info on the web that is relavent. My first AC seems confident he can load one. I am wondering two things:

first how much does it weigh. I am trying to nail down a tripod and some specs would help. I assume my 501 head is too flimsy to hold (13.2 lbs max) but I have access to some vintens and cartonis that can hold more. If anything more than 25 lbs or so and I may have to rent a larger set of sticks. it will have the 400ft mag, but my short ends are 320' at most.

second has to do with the lens (12:120 2.2 angie I hear are very common on these cameras) I have seen these weird distance mark ring on the lens (comes out so it can be seen by the operator) Is this lens able to take a follow-focus, or are there no gears on the barrell. it seems like the marking plate would get in the way of a FF. (also I have seen versions with dog leg viewfinders, but I doubt his will have one, being a reflex model.)

Any help you could give, I would be very grateful. The guy who owns the camera is tough to get ahold of, generally he is shooting around the state and is never in town so I haven't been able to get an answer directly from him about these questions, and I want to have all gear budget locked down in the next week.

• Premium Member

Hi, Michael,

The CP is not one of the heavier cameras--figure around 10-11 pounds with a full magazine and lens. I may be off by a pound or two, but your 501 head should be fine. The marking rings on the lens can be taken off quite easily. They're just screwed on there with a split ring or else they detach in two halves. Angenieux did not put any gears on the barrel, but I think it should be easy to find a focus gear (rental places should have them). Again, these would mount quite easily on the lens.

Here's a loading tip from hard experience: After loading the film, inch the camera manually counterclockwise and see how the loop is performing. Then push the start button for a 2-3 second burst and observe the loop again. If it holds, you're set. If not, turn the inching knob one or two rotations clockwise, and this will balance out the loop again. Try another 2-3 second burst, and it should run fine.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Bernie

• Premium Member
I just weighed my CP16 (non-reflex) with one full magazine and a 12-120 Angenieux and it was about 18 lbs.

Hi Zachary,

You're right. I forgot battery weight and was a few pounds short. I work with a lot of Eclair NPRs so the CP seems like a NPR on WeightWatchers!

Cheers, Bernie

I am glad to hear its so light. I see pics of it and it looks like its 2" plate steel with some lead to weight it down. Looks like a tank. I doubt the 501 would hold that weight. It may not break, but accurate positioning would be difficult with no spring counterballance. I will try the cartoni heads we have at work (they hold up our 537 with the PVV-3, I think those weigh in at 25lbs +)

Thanks for the loading tip bernie. I will pass that along to my first AC. We should have plenty of time to get familiar with the camera before shooting. I have heard the gamut from 'its the worst camera ever' to 'its as good as any crystal sync camera of that era' so I am looking forward to using it. The guy who owns it bought it rebuilt from Whitehouse, and has gotten a full rebuild after the last student short it was used on (hasn't been used since) so I don't forsee many problems.

Another quick question about the angie lens. You said it has no gears on it stock. I don't think I have access to a follow focus proper, but the TV station I work for has a couple studio follow focus units (the type that mount to bars on the pedastal, with fujinon gear) is it possible to get a gear set to clamp onto the lens and be compatible with the fuji. I am actually planning to have as few focus racks as possible, but I know there are a few times where having the follow focus will be helpfull.

• Premium Member

Hi, Michael,

I honestly don't know if the Fujinon gears are compatible with the normal gear motors. I would call Whitehouse in this case and ask them for the specifics on this equipment. After all, the camera was once their baby. If you don't get anywhere with them, try Visual Products.

Cheers,

Bernie

Good advice bernie. I figured since the lens did not have a gear ring to begin with, maybe I could add one after the fact that has the .5 pitch fujinon has. I am still looking but I will check with VP. My fall back plan is an $80 device design for ENG application (which means I can also use it in my day job) its a plastic band taht straps to the focus barrel. It has two metal stops that are adjustable, then a bar that mounts to the side of the lens. The idea being that you set your end stops and then you can get a perfect rack between two points without looking. Since I ENG all day long I have gotten quite used to pulling my own focus while shooting, and an opticle viewfinder will only make that easier. Since its 16mm it should be a familiar DOF to a 2/3" betacam. I just thought the fuji FF would be good if I can rig it (since it would be free) the only problem is there is no marker ring, since its supposed to work with a studio cam.

Any ideas where after-market gear rings are sold? I checked with Abel cine, but they did not have what I was looking for.