Steadycams, shoulder supports, etc.

Andrew Means

Hey everybody-

I'm going to be traveling to Japan in about a week, and I've been thinking about ways to stabilize my camera for shooting on the fly. I've seen shoulder stock supports around, do they help much? Has anyone used one for shooting super8? How about a very compact/simple 'steadycam' rig? I won't be shooting with a tripod much, because we'll be walking around a lot and carying one would probably be too cumbersome (and too much weight- but that begs the question about whatever steadycam system I try to rig up)...

Any ideas for more stable shots on the go?

holy bujezus. Shoulder supports are expensive. I could see 50-70 bucks maybe but wow. For a bit of aluminum and foam rubber...

holy bujezus. Shoulder supports are expensive. I could see 50-70 bucks maybe but wow. For a bit of aluminum and foam rubber...

In the film world expect to add '0' onto what you'd expect to pay in the real of the world.

Examples

A Proffesional Slate

If available in the real world - £5

In the film world - £50

A Changing Bag

If available in the real world - £8

In the film world £80

A roll of Black Rap

If availble in the real world £3.50

In the film world £35

Way back when, I shot a feature on Super 8 using a Beaulieu camera from Super 8 Sound. Can't remember the exact model #, but it was the one that let you change lenses and use larger "mags" by way of a removable top on the camera.

Anyhow, I mounted that thing on a Steadicam Jr and got okay results. The "kit" from Super 8 Sound included what was essentially a surveillance camera with a plastic mount and other hijinx that fit up against the eyepiece so the picture could be seen in the LCD. The entire rig was on this side of being too heavy, but with a little practice, I got some shots I liked out of it.

• 1 year later...

Up with this topic (it's been a while !).

I am wondering about the real use of a steadycam with Super 8 cameras. Do some of you use steadycams ? For what kind of camera ? What kind of shooting ?

As for me, I've never used such stuff. I shoot with really small cameras (easier to carry everywhere as I shoot outdoors in remote locations) like Canon 514 XL ; I plan to buy a better camera soon (Beaulieu 4008 or equivalent). I'm just trying to know if it could be a good thing to use for my sports films. It could bring more mouvement in my plans ("travelling"...) but will it be alright with my cameras (actual or future ) ? Will it really help ?

Thanks for your feedback/advice... ;)