inputting p2 to mac options other than g4 pc card slot

Mark Allen

I'm wondering if there are any pc card readers that would allow me to read P2 cards used in the HVX200 enough such that I could make disk images out of them and use them later. The production workflow I would like to use would be to shoot to p2, make a disk image onto an external drive, then erase the p2 and reuse the card. The verified disk image should allow me the chance to reimport should there be any import problems and would serve as my back up.

I realize the powerbook G4s could do this, but is there any other solution with an external reader so that I could use a newer computer or powerbook?

This might be something to watch, but they haven't been released yet: http://duel-systems.com/

As far as I know there isn't a simple FW/USB PC card reader that can read the P2 cards other than the P2 Drive... yet.

It's a pain, I know. FWIW, I shot a short recently with an HVX using a PB G4, 2 hard drives, and P2 Genie for offloading and no problems whatsoever.

Hope you find something that works.

Hope you find something that works.

In the past I've shot:

1) directly to hard drive - one drive ended up dropping frames on us, never do this again, was a disaster.

2) directly to P2, then into P2 store - worked fine, for some reason the whole p2 store process made me nervous, but it worked without a hitch. Problem is that you have to have a computer near by and there is a whole process of having to load them in and delte them and with limited crew Ifound it distracting. However...

3) firestore - i've heard of people having problems, but for us this was the most elegant solution and the only frustration is that it divides up your shots every 2 gigs, sort of annoying for post purposes. So for now, in the pinch, we're going Firestores.