Camera Intern

Hello Knowledgable ones...

I am interning in the camera dept. on a feature being shot out in NYC...I was wondering if there was any possibility of this somehow counting towards union hours?!?

Let me know of all the possible benefits I can wring out of this...besides the education...I'd hate to look back and realize I could have got a few free t-shirts out of it or something cool like that.

Also I want to write it off as a business expense...travel and lodging and what not...any helpful tips besides keeping all my receipts and (since I'm not getting paid) my internship contract?!? Is that even possible?!? I'll have my "personal" accountant at H&R Block take a look at it...

I started last week and things are going well...I've learned alot and alot of stuff has been reenforced. It's good to see professionals do the same things that I have done on smaller budget features...it's reassuring...

Alright, thanks,

John

As far as I know, you can only accumulate union hours if you are dayplaying (that is, if you are getting paid and on the call sheet, really). Also, I really doubt you can write off "business expenses" such as lodging, etc. if you are not getting paid -- the IRS may not look kindly on that.

BTW, as far as I know, you can never write off food -- this is something we all need to live ;) -- its not something work-specific. This is especially true on sets where, most of the time, you aren't spending your own money on eats.

But hey, grab as many T-shirts and hats as you can! :)

Work your ass off, listen and try to anticipate, and stay in contact with the ACs after the shoot is over. The rest will fall into line fine, I should imagine. Don't worry about union and tax things, as the union is MUCHO expensive for someone without regular higher-end work.

Edited by Jon Kukla