DVX100A Accessories and Such

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

I've been asked by a company about recs for putting together a package and am looking for user/owner opinions on what works and what doesn't. We'll only have the Leica lens that comes with the camera. I've got limited experience with this camera at best. Any thoughts you all could offer would be appreciated, both on what my best picks would be for the following items, and companies you think would be best to speak with about purchasing; I'm calling and researching and as with all things video, am getting a million different opinions from a million different people. Thanks.

-Matte Box (4x5.65)

-Follow Focus (My understanding is that there is a follow focus unit available for the camera lens, truth?)

-16x9 Adapter (is this worth the cost? I've gotten mixed input)

-Rods, etc

Thanks again to everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of the 16x9 adapters out there and in the end feel that it's best just to use the camera's internal electronic solutions. I tend towards the letterboxed rather than the electronic stretch if only because that can e done in post and often with better results rom various software solutions.

system

That said, the best DVX100A accessories in my experience are from Chrosziel and Century Precision Optics. Chros. makes an excellent followfocus, better than the JBK Cinequipt or CAVision models I've seen. They also make great matteboxes and front rod assemblies. But CPO claims that certain matteboxes won't clear the wide end of the lens, so they designed a new one specific to this camera. They also have their own front rod setup and have a gearing that works well with the Chros. followfocus although I have not had the chance to really play with both setups enough to have a preference. The CPO stuff is actually the Vocas gear from England. The good news is that both CPO and Chros. gear are available from retailers such as B&H Photo which means the prices are pretty good. I think that mattebox, frontrod assembly and followfocus will set you back around $3500. Hey, same price as the camera!