HI.

Thanks in advance.

Who could tell me where to find a video clip showing how to light a shot to get the best results? For example, we place this light here, another one over there, etc.

• Premium Member

Some DVD's have the making of featurettes. I highly recommend you look at the featurettes. Even though they don't spend time on the lighting or with the dp because the featurette is a marketing tool, you can, pause, replay, and compare frames to see how they rigged up a set and then compare the scene when you play the movie.

I am often baffled at some of the sets for their simplicity, and others that look simple for their complexity.

Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, The Last Samurai, Road To Perdition, Traffic, Minority Report, Band of Brothers, Se7ven are some of my favorite DVD's with tons of behind the scenes stuff that you can learn lots from.

Also, a great source of material for lighting American Cinematographer Magazine.

C.-

Thanks for the information. Of course, I saw the behind the scenes of the film The Others with Nicole Kidman and it is rich with examples not only about lighting but with the creation of special effects. Excuse me, how they make that masks so clean, by rotoscoping?, what software?

thanks for everythiong.

I´ve used After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, but haven´t obtain that clean masks.That´s seems very difficult to obtain step by step and tedious. They in the film, remove all the background and only leave the silhouette of the actors as masks, then superimpose the other videos or images. So, what impressed me was the very clean masks,that seem imposible to obtain. I would like to make them too.