Italian movie

• Premium Member

I went with my friend to a screening at BAFTA for a couple of films. First one was Harsh Times shot by Steve Mason, ASC. Some nice 16mm work, but the DI wasn't brilliant. Mind you, not terrible either.

Next was some Italian movie I had never heard of, called Romanzo Criminale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418110). Film turned out to be some kind of Italian The Godfather, a rise-and-fall of-a-gangster-empire

kind of thing. Not bad overall, just that the subject has been done so many times before.

But what was absolutely stunning was the anamorphic cinematography. It's easily the best shot and art directed movie I've seen this year. DP Luca Bigazzi, who I've never even heard of, did an amazing job. Amazingly sharp and with tons of breathtaking night work. I think it was a DI because of the slightly muted palette, but this was sharper than anything I've seen on the screen recently. It's amazing to see how much the standards have been lowered surreptisiously over the last couple of years with DI's so that when a straight, well-shot anamorphic effort comes along again it really stands out.

Please take a look at this film just for the cinematography if it turns up at a festival or cinema near you.

• Premium Member

I had a quick look at a dvd of the film myself just a couple of days ago. Unfortunately it was just a screener and the quality was not terrific (it was part of some 40 odd films that the European Film Academy send me for their upcoming awards). Now that you recommended the film I will definitely hold off to watch it in a cinema. Hopefully it'll get screened in London in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
GODFATHER, SCARFACE, GOODFELLAS, ROMANZO CRIMINALE????...i must say it was very ballsy of them to write such a statement in the trailer...

well, "them" being the marketing department, and we all know how stupid their choices can me at times.

The movie is not THAT good, actually I saw a behind the scenes doc where the director was saying there are references to those movies, so in a way it's reminescent of them because the filmmakers paid a tribute to some of the classics of the genre.