Lumapanel vs Kino

Dave Plake

Which is a better choice for lighting a 30x30 cyc... lumapanels or kino image 85's?

Thanks

D

I've been looking at using them for green screens also. The fact that the bulbs run north/south on the horizontal bail make alot of sense to me. Kinos tend to always 'pool' as you reduce them. There are some forums discussing them, nothing bad so far. Let us know if you use them.

Greg

Dave,

I would ask for a demo so you can check them out. They are much bigger than any kino fixture and throw alot more light. The closest comparison would be the blanket light, but the lumapanel is much easier to operate, plug-in, store, etc. They sell it as a piece of a large source as opposed as nessesarily a single fixture. Some of the pictures of the rigs are massive, but alot more controllable than spacelights or coops.

They are very user friendly, i got 2 for a demo on a small shoot. I'll upload some pictures.

Chris

• Premium Member

They are much bigger than an Image 80. Dave Devlin has pictures on his site showing them using them for huge cycs (I think for War of The Worlds).

You could use fewer Lumapannels for the same space, but they are very similar fixtures. I tend to use 5k Skypans for large screens, although I have used Image 80s in the past for that job, especially when kick back off the screen is an issue because of limited space for the actors to the screen.

The Image 80 approach is probably cheaper, although because you could use fewer Lumas, it may be about the same.

Kevin Zanit