Zeiss Ultra Prime vs. Cooke S4

Sergi Vilanova

Hello everyone

I've been ot of the forum for a while shooting a job.

I did shoot it with Zeiss Ultra primes leses (one of my favourites)

For a new incoming job I am considering to use the Cooke S4.

I have never used them before, but my feeling, for stuff I've seen shot with them, is that they might be slightly softer in detail (meaning less crispy); but i might be wrong.

I would deeply apretiate any info or ideas or thoughts from anyone who has used them both extensively and has an opinion about it.

I know it has more to do with personal taste than anything else, but I still would really like to hear from other people's experience.

thanks a lot

Sergi.

• Premium Member

The Ultra Primes are very sharp lenses with a very distinct focus fall-off. The difference between what's in fcous and out-of-focus is always very clear. With the Cooke S4s on the other hand the focus fall-off is more gradual and less obvious, which can make them to look softer than the Ultra Primes, simply because your eye has trouble distinguishing what's in focus and what's not.

Where the Cooke S4s excel is contrast. They look more three-dimensional and organic than the Ultra Primes.

The Ultra Primes are very sharp lenses with a very distinct focus fall-off. The difference between what's in fcous and out-of-focus is always very clear. With the Cooke S4s on the other hand the focus fall-off is more gradual and less obvious, which can make them to look softer than the Ultra Primes, simply because your eye has trouble distinguishing what's in focus and what's not.

Where the Cooke S4s excel is contrast. They look more three-dimensional and organic than the Ultra Primes.

Thanks a lot, I hadn't considered that way and it sure is something to think about. Very helpful.

sergi.

I haven't used Cooke S4, but UltraPrimes several times. I love the shapness and the way they handle contrast, plus color rendition. And for camera assistants, Im sure they love that focus scales.

Actually i prefer the scales on the Cookes. And they give a different feel when pulling focus due to their inner mechanics, which are completely different from the Zeiss lenses. It's hard to describe, but pulling focus on a Cooke lens for me is a lot more intuitive than with a Zeiss lens.