Lighting with LEDs

ken wood

I'm a real newbie on film. I am working on my 1st film, a si-fi spoof on the tech industry.

Everything will be done in 'space' thus a lot of black background.

All of my props will be laden with LEDs, 10mm to 3mm. Very bright colors red, blues, whites, orange.

The other lighting I intent to use are some halogen spots to light scenes.

I will be using Kodak Vison 2 200. Camera will be Canon 814.

I hope to accquire a UII or UIII wide-angle lens. If there is any budget left.

I think I will take some stills using slide film ASA 200 as a test.

I guess my question is will the LEDs flare or will they enhance my shot? And, is there anything else I should be aware of to increase my chances of good footage?

leds can be very bright, especially the white ones, so yes they will flare the same way as any light source of the same strength in the frame would. how much depends on your camera/lens/stock/aperture and so on. one more thing to remember is that white leds often are something like 7000k so they will look very blue on tungsten film.

/matt

leds can be very bright, especially the white ones, so yes they will flare the same way as any light source of the same strength in the frame would. how much depends on your camera/lens/stock/aperture and so on. one more thing to remember is that white leds often are something like 7000k so they will look very blue on tungsten film.

/matt

Thanks, I'll test 1st.

Also I have blue and yellow LEDs 10mm biggies. They are diffused so i think they should work well.