JVC GR-HD Dig Cma vs Canon XL2

Guest lesegofilms

Guest lesegofilms

Hi everyone i just registrated with your website, I am an aspiring filmmaking who is now in a search for video cameras that will produce an image closer to the film look. I am considering prosumer cameras in the range of $6000 and i much prefer HD cameras in PAL. Please advice.

The little JVC HD cameras are not very good at all. $2000 worth of resolution and $500 for everything else. There are a host of issues with them. You can read the archives here and in numerous other web forums for further details.

Guest Pete Wright

HDV is worthless.

720p HDV is compressed 17.5:1; 1080i is compressed 22.5:1. DV is compressed 5:1.

No matter how expensive HDV camera will be; the image can't look good enough.

Pete

Guest Pete Wright

Storage is getting less expensive all the time, so are writing speeds. That's why we're seeing digital cinema products getting less and less compressed.

HDV is taking is in the oposite direction of technology innovation. First came extermely compressed $3,000 JVC camera with poor picture quality and compression artifacts, especially on moving images. Now Sony is planning to sell even more compressed $7,000 HDV camera. JVC can't be left behind so it is planning to introduce exteremely compressdd $40,000 (with lens) HDV camera.

Pete