Den Brysomme Mannen

• Premium Member

I highly recommend this wonderful Norwegian Film.

It's an absurd comedy about a man who arrives in this overly clean and friendly town and finds out that he canot get out anymore. The story is classical, but the direction, cinematography and production design take it to another level. It's very rare to see a film that is so assured and coherent, with all the elements working in harmony. The look is amazing, the light is clean and very sharp.

The must have shot on real locations, but the way they shot it almost makes them look like it's a set, lots of clean lines and not a single speck of dirt anywhere. Parts of the film was shot in and the desert locations there are simply stunning.

The film was selected for the Director's fortnight in Cannes this year by the way.

Yep, well worth seeing. Anyone heard the rumours that an American studio is trying to be the rights to do an American remake of this film? I remember Norwegian newspapers speculated that Brad Pitt would play the main character about the same time it was screened at Cannes ;)

• 10 months later...
I highly recommend this wonderful Norwegian Film.

It's an absurd comedy about a man who arrives in this overly clean and friendly town and finds out that he canot get out anymore. The story is classical, but the direction, cinematography and production design take it to another level. It's very rare to see a film that is so assured and coherent, with all the elements working in harmony. The look is amazing, the light is clean and very sharp.

The must have shot on real locations, but the way they shot it almost makes them look like it's a set, lots of clean lines and not a single speck of dirt anywhere. Parts of the film was shot in and the desert locations there are simply stunning.

The film was selected for the Director's fortnight in Cannes this year by the way.

you know... I've read a few of your posts and at first sight (though I know this is not true) it seems like you don't like any movies at all.

and with you saying this movie is wonderful... wow... i just, don't know what to say. The movie in my eyes was a 4,5 out of ten. The cinematography (again IMO) was not anything special... but it did suite the film well.

The story it self however did NOTHING at all for me. It was kind of boring actually. The usual "i'll make a film almost nobody (including myself) understands and hope everybody is so confused they are too afraid to say its rubbish".

I didn't think this movie was a movie that made you think at all really. (btw I'm norwegian so I didn't have to read any subtitles or anything, saw the movie in its completely raw version). and also btw this movie was based on a radiodrama.

but yeah, basically a boring movie. I really do not understand your taste in movies. Movies are for me (and apparently 98% of all other movie-goers) entertainment, if they get you to think, thats great, but really, it seems like you deliberatly like everything everybody else DOESN'T like. but just to check, did you like memoirs of a geisha?

(this is btw no means of disrespect to the movies you like, just never met/heard of/seen a person with such.... unique taste)

• Premium Member
The story it self however did NOTHING at all for me. It was kind of boring actually. The usual "i'll make a film almost nobody (including myself) understands and hope everybody is so confused they are too afraid to say its rubbish".

What is there not to understand about the story? Honestly, if you don't understand the story of this film then I don't know what to say.

but yeah, basically a boring movie. I really do not understand your taste in movies. Movies are for me (and apparently 98% of all other movie-goers) entertainment, if they get you to think, thats great, but really, it seems like you deliberatly like everything everybody else DOESN'T like. but just to check, did you like memoirs of a geisha?

Why is it always so confusing to popcorn crunchers that there are people who have different taste than their own and who see cinema as more than merely mindless entertainment? If there are people who like a film that you don't like, it is very likely that they see something in it which you don't. It's really as simple as that.

well, what there is to not understand about the story can be e.g. where is the place he has come to? why did he get there? is this heaven or hell maybe? abit of both? I'm not saying it was complete rubbish (gave it a 4,5 out of ten, it could have been much worse).

Again, i don't see cinema as "mindless entertainment" (therefore i wrote: "if they get you to think, thats great").

"If there are people who like a film that you don't like, it is very likely that they see something in it which you don't. It's really as simple as that."

I agree, but thats what i was trying to do, trying to understand what you saw in this movie? I understood the story quite well i thought, though the questions like, where is the place where he sticks his hand into at the end? the place he gets a bun or something, where they hear children and music and stuff, i don't think anybody has one simple answer to.

Thinking back on it btw, the movie wasn't that bad (saw it a while ago), I'll raise its grade to 5,5.

Though i may have put it wrong, i was trying to ask what you see in the movie that makes it so great?