Why stop at 500?

Mike Brennan

Yes the market for Red type cameras will grow, and so not be fullfilled for a long time, but I do not think dwindling sales of RED one will be the catalist to make a RED two as that supposes no competition from other manufacturers using latest technology.

Mike Brennan

Agreed. However I would put the top-end cameras like the F900 in the same camp as the RED. They're all products with very long hardware production runs because the market is that much slower to adopt and saturate. When I say "Almost immediately saturate" I'm referring to the prosumer cameras which tend to be replaced biannually.

I would say dwindling sales of RED one would be caused by one of two cases: External competition or Market Saturation. Whichever comes first will start to hit the RED sales and that will necessitate a RED TWO. My money though is on saturation, I still don't understand how RED is succeeding, and don't see anyone else repeating their success for at least a year. Then again... I underestimated RED so maybe I'm underestimating the world.

- Gavin

Does anyone know how many production versions of other cameras exist?

Like - How many varicams? How many sdx-900s? Genesis? Dalsa's? HVX200's?

I'm just curious.

Sony upgraded the optical block in the f900, this wasn't crowed about much as it could have adversely affected the goodwill and profit of the early adopters who paid through the nose for the early cinealtas.

It came with a software upgrade that was also available to f900 mark 1s (the block wasn't available as an upgrade)

So some people believe all f900/3s are the same when they are not.

Reliable critical info about Dalsa and Genesis info is hard to get, but the Genisis has/is getting a 14bit AD upgrade, you could also say the NGC 23 is a 2/3 inch sensor variant of the Genesis.

Lets hope RED are more upfront about what is and isn't being upgraded, it certainly helps move the product development along when we are all talking, but one suffers the slings and arrows by the anti digital crowd when we put our heads above the parapet.

Good communication avoids more than one or two DPs making the same screw ups. If known issues or faults are in the open, rather than bury/ignore or keep it to themselves which I have experienced numerous times with Sony.

It is pretty diheartening when they know of a fault but don't have a decent way of communicating this to the end user, other than the engineering bulletins which usually only inform of faults they have fixed, sometimes months or years after they have know of their existence! Apparently this is not illegal in European law.

I doubt that this approach is a conspiracy or clever management strategy, they just don't value our job in the same way that we do.

End rant.

Mike Brennan

On the French Panavision site they mentioned that by the end of the year 60 (if memory serves me correctly) Genesis cameras would be availble.

Max what do you mean... not sure if you mean purchase... Panavision in the past has only rented... they've never sold their cameras...

Sony upgraded the optical block in the f900, this wasn't crowed about much as it could have adversely affected the goodwill and profit of the early adopters who paid through the nose for the early cinealtas.

Mike Brennan

Was this upgrade similar to Clairmont's modifications?

- Gavin