A cordless drill?

Brant Collins

I was watching the making of Running Scared with Paul Walker and there is a scene int he making off footage where a cordless drill was attached to the side of a camera and while they were filming they where pulsing th edril. What was that for?

Guest david west

were they using the drill in place of the camera motor? ....sort of a 28days later pulse flicker chaser scene effect?

How ironic. I just watched that this weekend and was going to ask the same question. I watched the featurette and the sequence over and over, and yes they were replacing the camera motor with a cordless drill.

If you watch they intercut several shots together in jumpcut fasion, and let the flash created from the motor speeding up and slowing down stay in some times. It looks like it was used to make a random time-ramp effect. I cannot understand, however how they accomplished keeping the image exposed correctly? Was it done by feel, or just done enough until they had a good take that stays in exposure for long enough. They operator was putting very quick bursts of full throttle, so maybe the top end was what they exposed to, and the ramp up and down was meant to overexpose. Who knows, very interesting though.

What a coincidence we both noticed the same thing on the same weekend.