A first for Panavision techs?

Patrick Neary

I bet the repair guys don't see this very often...

>>The Sun, a British newspaper, has reported that production on the Tim Burton-directed "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" has been delayed after "a £300,000 camera was dropped into a giant vat of 'chocolate.' " The Panavision Millenium XL was reportedly rigged improperly by wires over the fluid set piece by a technician.

• Premium Member
It?s true.

Saw the camera several days ago. Looked like you took a camera and dipped it in chocolate milk.

Kevin Zanit

I'm curious how they shipped it back? I've heard that when a camera gets submerged in salt water the best way to ship it back is submerged within the case in fresh water so that the salt can't dry and start to eat at the camera. Anyone else heard this? Did they ship the camera back submerged in chocolate? :P

• Premium Member

Nothing new under the sun. About 30 years ago, a friend of mine lost a 12 - 120 off an NPR into a vat of molten chocolate. He was tilting down and zooming in, and that loosened the old CA-1 mount. Not quite a chocolate Eclair.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I would absolutly love to see pictures of this. I'm sure some have to exist somewhere.

A chocolate covered Panny. What a great gift for your AC boyfriend/girlfriend? A good gag gift for the crew would be little chocolate cameras...

I've heard that when a camera gets submerged in salt water the best way to ship it back is submerged within the case in fresh water so that the salt can't dry and start to eat at the camera. Anyone else heard this? Did they ship the camera back submerged in chocolate?

The correct proceeding depends only on the flavour of chocolate the camera fell into.

But generally you don't have to worry about keeping the chocolate liquid, just let it harden and melt it later back until you can extract camera. But beware: California environmental laws are very strict about rejuvenated chocolate containing camera lube! :P