Blimp for russian camera

Kelley Cross

I've recently purchased a russian Konvas 2M. The shots are steady and descent enough however the camera is noisy as hell...around 55db. I'll be shooting a low budget feature in November and am going to attempt to use this as my primary camera. I've heard a rumor that at some point a blimp was made for this camera, but I've had no luck finding one. Does anyone have any leads or advice--or possibly know someone who could could frabicate one?

Thanks

Guest DEMUTIGER

Good luck with the Konvas 2m. I'm looking to get one myself. You should check out www.commiecam.com and search around. You'll find lots of info on the Konvas and I believe in the resource area you'll also find info on blimping the Russian beast. You can also join the Konvas user group and post there. I've learned so much from the good people there and from the site.

Best of luck!

Ian Dudley

• 10 months later...
I've recently purchased a russian Konvas 2M. The shots are steady and descent enough however the camera is noisy as hell...around 55db. I'll be shooting a low budget feature in November and am going to attempt to use this as my primary camera. I've heard a rumor that at some point a blimp was made for this camera, but I've had no luck finding one. Does anyone have any leads or advice--or possibly know someone who could could frabicate one?

Thanks

I got a Konvas M2 and it sure is a MOS camera, I even had a barney made but isn't much help...

Thanks

You can try this, although I cannot guarantee that it will work, it's just what I've heard. Since the Konvas 2M camera was based on the Cameflex design from Eclair, you could try to either use the cameflex blimp or modify it to fit the camera. As far as I know though, even the blimp will not silent the camera completely.

Really, the konvas 2M was specifically made for MOS and post-production dubbing. I would highly recommend that even if you choose to do a post-production dub to record the sound while you shoot with the camera, just to have reference points. Kubrick made the mistake on his first film "Fear and Desire" of not recording the sound, and the postproduction costs went up to three times the actual shooting cost.

If you really want sync sound shooting, it's best to rent a silent camera, and use the konvas to do pick up MOS shots. It's good to own one good solid piece of MOS equipment though.

Edited by Nguyen D. Nguyen

• 7 months later...
If you really want sync sound shooting, it's best to rent a silent camera, and use the konvas to do pick up MOS shots. It's good to own one good solid piece of MOS equipment though.

Good advice.I've gotten away with blimping noisy 16mm cameras such as an Arri S or Arri M,worked OK for outdoor shoots.Blimping my Arri 2C was next to impossible.Using Arri's blimp added impossible weight to the camera and was rather limiting.Rent a silenced camera,it's well worth it in headaches alone.