bayonet mount for my 2c

Thanasis Diamantopoulos

Hi i own a arriflex 2c but i also have a few bayonet lenses . I have seen on an arri st (with the tree lenses turet) that the one position was bayonet. My 2c also has the std mount touret and iam thinking if anyone knows where can i make the convertion. I dont want to convert the camera to pl. The camera works only in small projects anymore and the pl lenses are expensive for it

thanks.

• Premium Member
There is a 2c bayonet turret on ebay, auction finishes tonight

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arriflex-35mm-Arri-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

I bid low on that turret - it sold for $51. If you look carefully at the photo of the back you'll notice a lot of corrosion on the outer lip. It's also missing the clamps and hardware for the two Arri standard spigots and the turret locator springs and rollers. The item was listed in dollars but located in Switzerland. It's been my direct experience that there are sellers in the EU who deliberately try to dump items that are junk, or close to junk, on the US eBay site. This seller had several other items but listed them in Euros - apparently he wasn't afraid to sell them within the EU. Caveat Emptor!

Switzerland is not in the EU. EU stands for European Union, Switzerland is not a member. It has its own currency, swiss francs I think. Many ebay sellers from countries outside the EU and US, list in Euros or US dollars in the hope that those people in the larger economic dominant markets will be more interested in buying their items. Not to cast any aspersions on to this seller but there are rogue sellers in every country even if I dare say it in the US!

• Premium Member
Switzerland is not in the EU. EU stands for European Union, Switzerland is not a member.

Hi,

There are only a couple of regular ebay sellers from Switzerland, as there is only a tiny film business here. The reason for listing in USD is so that your paypal account is credited in USD without unnecessary currency conversions (for both buyer and seller). Most film equipment is valued in dollers, so it's the most useful currency to have available.

The seller is in Basel on the border to France and Germany, Euro's are a useful currency for him. Food is much cheaper in Germany & France! I cross those same borders 3 or more times a week!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

There are only a couple of regular ebay sellers from Switzerland, as there is only a tiny film business here. The reason for listing in USD is so that your paypal account is credited in USD without unnecessary currency conversions (for both buyer and seller). Most film equipment is valued in dollers, so it's the most useful currency to have available.

The seller is in Basel on the border to France and Germany, Euro's are a useful currency for him. Food is much cheaper in Germany & France! I cross those same borders 3 or more times a week!

Stephen

I've dealt with this seller more than once. He's treated me well, and earned my trust, as well as the "other" regular seller from Switzerland. I just thought I'd put in a positive word on their behalf.

• Premium Member
your paypal account is credited in USD without unnecessary currency conversions (for both buyer and seller). Most film equipment is valued in dollers, so it's the most useful currency to have available.

I respectfully disagree with you with respect to this seller, he had several other items listed - in euros, not dollars.

I bought an Arri 2 zoom lens support from Germany that had been artfully posed to obscure a crack all the way through the pan handle spigot. I purchased an Arri 2 BNCR hardfront from England that was missing the lock collar - I was buying it to investigate building a Pentax hard front for my camera. The seller described the item as a BNCR hardfront with extra parts, and I was gullible enough to assume the extra parts included the lock collar.

I buy a fair amount of high value electronics test equipment on eBay (and sell a little). My feedback is 100% over 248 transactions. I've never had those sort of problems with test gear, the descriptions and photos are honest and informative, I've never been scammed or accused of the same. Junk is usually described as for parts only, good gear is described as 100% functional, etc.

Yes, Switzerland isn't an EU country, I didn't think that through, just typing shorthand for Europe.

Are you personally acquainted with the seller? If so, and he's reputable, you might mention to him that, IMHO, he should call out missing parts, corrosion, etc. even on as-is items - it helps to build trust.

• Premium Member
Are you personally acquainted with the seller? If so, and he's reputable, you might mention to him that, IMHO, he should call out missing parts, corrosion, etc. even on as-is items - it helps to build trust.

Sometimes online pictures can be misleading, even without questionable intent by the seller. If something doesn't look right on an item in which you're interested, it's good practice to e-mail the seller with your specific concern, asking them to clarify as to possible corrosion, missing parts, etc. If they give you a plausible response, while displaying a solid history of positive feedback, then that will minimize your chance of getting burned.

• Premium Member
I respectfully disagree with you with respect to this seller, he had several other items listed - in euros, not dollars.

Hi Hal,

I have Paypal currency accounts in USD/Euro/GBP. CHF is NOT available as a paypal currency and any withdrawls or cash deposits I make have to be in CHF! CHF is not a useful currency for Ebay trading as with transaction costs/ currency conversion will exceed 10% before Ebay charges. I have thrown away many lower cost items for that reason!

I don't know who the seller is, do you have his name? (It may be a gaffer I Know with 400 old light meters one is for sale) I can make enquiries, my girlfriend lives in Basel so on a big value item I can easily take a look.

Stephen

• Premium Member
I've dealt with this seller more than once. He's treated me well, and earned my trust, as well as the "other" regular seller from Switzerland. I just thought I'd put in a positive word on their behalf.

Hi,

I forgot to bid on that Cooke 18mm SIII you won! What a bargain! :P

Stephen