Editing question

Mike Simpson

Perhaps this a bit off topic, but I spend most of my time on this forum and have come to trust it, so I may as well ask here.

Im not really much of a fan of editing, but lately Ive been having to do quite a bit of it. Now I come from a pretty strong photography background, and I have become quite comfortable with photoshop over the years. I have a few custom filters and whatnot that I use regularly for color corection, etc. Is there any way I can import the filters into final cut, after effects, avid, imovie, or anything else?

Im sure its just a matter of familiarity, but I'm really not too fond of the color correction/gamma/contrast tools of final cut, and hardly know my way around after effects. Ideally i would just import a frame into photoshop, apply the filter, and have it magically applied to the rest of the scene.

Anything like this possible?

Thanks!

Perhaps this a bit off topic, but I spend most of my time on this forum and have come to trust it, so I may as well ask here.

Im not really much of a fan of editing, but lately Ive been having to do quite a bit of it. Now I come from a pretty strong photography background, and I have become quite comfortable with photoshop over the years. I have a few custom filters and whatnot that I use regularly for color corection, etc. Is there any way I can import the filters into final cut, after effects, avid, imovie, or anything else?

Im sure its just a matter of familiarity, but I'm really not too fond of the color correction/gamma/contrast tools of final cut, and hardly know my way around after effects. Ideally i would just import a frame into photoshop, apply the filter, and have it magically applied to the rest of the scene.

Anything like this possible?

Thanks!

Start with the three way color corrector. It's pretty simple and a good place to begin.

Premiere 6.5 I believe could import a photoshop filter as a video filter. I don't know if that still holds true in the newer versions (I have the latest version, but I just don't need photoshop filters, since I find the color corrector a powerful tool)

If you want to try and it makes your life easier, try opening the filters folder for both programs (usually in the install directory) and copy the photoshop filters to the premiere folder. Then restart premiere. If it doesn't work, you won't see the filters show up. If it does, then you will see them under effects with everything else.

Thanks Galen, I am familiar with that tool, but I'm not necessarily just looking for color correction. The custom filters I have adjust contrast, saturation, and grain as well.

I dont actually have a copy of Premier, but if somone is willing to test this out for me i can email you a filter or two. Or if somone knows a way to import filters in final cut or avid that would be best. Thanks.

Thanks Galen, I am familiar with that tool, but I'm not necessarily just looking for color correction. The custom filters I have adjust contrast, saturation, and grain as well.

I dont actually have a copy of Premier, but if somone is willing to test this out for me i can email you a filter or two. Or if somone knows a way to import filters in final cut or avid that would be best. Thanks.

Its doable but it will take some steps. First you need to export your film/video as a frame sequence, preferably TIFF. Then open up the first frame photoshop and apply your effect. If you like it then save this process as 'new action' and then 'Automate' this process for the rest of the sequence. Once all the frames are treated and saved then you can import them into any of the editing softwares as a sequence and export it as quicktime.