Telephoto lens for a Z1

Ken OSullivan

Hi guys,

Has anyone used a telephoto lens with a Sony HDR-Z1, I know there's a 2x Century optics one available for about $1,500, I was hoping to get something a bit cheaper. Does HDV require a particular type of lens as opposed to DV, I could get a 2x tele for my Sony PD170 for a few hundred bucks but the camera lens mount is smaller than the Z1's 78mm one..

Any help / opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Ken

just rent one, they're only like $20 per day, or do you need it for a long time? my educated guess is the pd170 one will work fine as long as you have the correct step ring. since you're working at the telephoto end of the zoom you don't need to worry about vignetting. this is if you're only using it for telephoto shots. if you plan on keeping it on all the time it won't work.

/matt

If your planned finnish is SD, not HD, then you can zoom in with digital zoom, or save it for post and just window in. In HD it will pixelate, but in SD, it will maintain full resolution (as long as you don't go too far in)

I was thinking these cameras could be useful for poormans motion control (probably since I was just reading the Mr. Moco post and watching their videos) You could only do limited pans and tilts (more like pan & scan) and moco zooms. Not perfect, but for the kids making music videos, you can at least take away the 'locked off look' sorry, I have digressed (as I tend to do)