Cinematographer Style RE: Mr. David Mullen, ASC

Joe Lotuaco

Wow...just wow...

I attended the screening of Cinematographer Style today at the Hamptons Film Festival and I still have chills and my hand is still shaking a bit from it. Maybe because I'm only a film student, but seeing how this film was put together and finally hearing and seeing these great cinematographers talking so passionately about what they do, was just so incredibly inspiring. Gordon Willis was such a character and ever time they cut to him, I was so engaged in what he was saying. During the Q & A, John Fauer told quite a funny story about how shooting his interview went. How they got this huge grip truck and generator to his brand new house in Cape Cod expecting to need all the lights because they had to light his interview from the outside so as not to damage his brand new house by bringing everything in. Gordon wakes up to hear the trucks backing up into his driveway and says something like "What the heck is all this?! Just grab a damn kino and let's go!"

Some people were worried that these great cinematographic minds wouldn't get enough screen time, but the way it was put together and the way it moved from one topic to another was so seamless to me, that it made what each person said that much more poignant. The fact that they made a point not to cut away to clips of movies really did make the audience feel more connected and aware of what each person was saying. Also, it was great that you got a good sense of the personalities of each individual cinematographer and what drives them which is something I've personally never seen before, even in Visions of Light. It was incredibly refreshing to hear two people completely contradict each other on a certain point, but both be completely correct. It has really given me an all new respect for cinematography and the work that everyone in the film and cinematographers everywhere do. That being said, when David came on, I nearly jumped out of my seat! I thought to myself "Hey it's David!!" You do look much younger than I thought you were :)

After reading a lot of your posts on here about everything digital, I was expecting to hear more of your thoughts on this whole digital era when the topic got into digital technologies and how it is being utilized in cinematography. Also, they had mentioned that there were 3 ASC members that were attending the screening and I was wondering if you were one of them, but I unfortunately had to leave before the Q&A finished to get to the Aronofsky panel discussion so I didn't get to find out who was there. I thought maybe since The Astronaut Farmer was screening there you might have been one of the 3 members there.

Speaking of which, I wish I could go back on Sunday to catch the screening of The Astronaut Farmer, unfortunately I can't due to a previous commitment to shoot a class project. Do you know if the film will be released either on DVD or theatrically nationwide? I've followed your production diaries on here and I almost feel like I was a part of the production. Needless to say I'm very excited to see it.

Again, David, congratulations on the screening and thanks for all the insight and guidance you've so generously given everyone here on these forums. Seeing this film really showed how lucky we are to have you around here.

Edited by Joe Lotuaco